If Anyone Needs To Talk - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Youth and Teen Support

Old 10-23-2007, 05:09 PM

Default If Anyone Needs To Talk

Hey guys,

I found this website about a month ago and I think it's great.

I am not a teen anymore, but I know how hard it is to be a teenager with a birthmark. I also know how alone you can feel sometimes and that you feel you are the only one out there that feels like this. I thought I would post this thread to let anyone know that if they just want to talk about stuff or need advice they can email me.

I am 24 years old, I have a port wein stain that covers most of my left leg. I know I am pretty blessed to have what I have. I hated it when I was younger when I thought nobody would like me, or people would think I was a freak or something, but as I got older, more confident and more mature, I realized I was the only one that thought that and in all actuality, no one has ever cared about my birthmark, only I did. My best advice to everyone out there struggling is to become confident in yourself. Once you have that, you can tackle anything that comes your way. I have excelled in school, sports and have many friends and have dated wonderful and good looking guys. My birthmark didn't hold me back from any of this, so don't let it hold you back!

Don't be afraid to contact me if you guys need some sisterly advice or help...

-Jen
Old 10-29-2007, 07:08 PM

Hi Jen,

First of all welcome to the group.
Second Thank you for such a positive post.

I completely agree with what you wrote.
If you have not seen any of my posts I am a 25 year old with facial PWS. Like you I have excelled in school. I never really had any relationships in my life. Just one or two, but that does not matter anymore because I am engaged and my birthmark does not bother my fiancee what so ever.

One thing that helped me was turning PWS into education to children. Adults still can be mean, but the way I have always seen it, it is their problem not mine.

Thank you again for your post.

Hank
Old 01-03-2008, 11:12 PM

I also know what it is like growing up with a large birth mark.
I have a PWS that covers the majority of the right side of my face.
It is pretty dark red/purple. The past few years I have noticed that I am getting thickening in areas,along with little bumps.( laser seems to take them away for a while ) but they come back .
I also have the PWS in the right side of my mouth and down my throat.
I have had pulse dye laser 10 times( didn't seem to do much good, and was a pretty nasty recovery )
I have also had a few treatments of photoderm laser. That seemed to lighten it some.
I am 28, married and have 4 children.
If any one wants advise, or just a friend that knows what you are going through and feeling. I am here to talk .

PAmom