deciding what action to take - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

   VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-29-2008, 04:16 PM
MRsCHADT MRsCHADT is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Default A mother's toughest decision

As a mother, the toughest decision is consenting to the things that we feel is best. My daughter Isabella is 5 now, and we've been through a lot if only we would have known or been told more. She was born with a hemangioma on her upper lip. By the time she was three months old it ballooned and spread up into her right nostril. The hemangioma was deep "compound" going the whole way from outside lip to inside. Our ped sent us to a dermatologist who at three months gave her steroid shots, they worked enough so she could breath while nursing. Then at a year old we were sent to another dermatologist who did laser, it only changed the color of the H from bright red to a more flesh tone. At three years old we were sent back to the first dermatologist who then tried an experimental creme - it did't do anything. Then oral steriods and we stopped them due to Isabella refused to take them and we had to wrestle her down to get her to swallow. Horrible stuff - again didn't work so we stopped. So then everyone's advice was to leave her alone it would go away before she started school. I have two other kids. My youngest, a girl, was born also with an hemangioma. Instead of her face like Isabella, it's on Ali's back and "superficial". Two months ago Ali formed a red spot on her head behind her ear. It bothers her, she reaches back and fusses occassionally. But our ped doctor just says to monitor it. When Isabella was a baby she had her head scanned for hemangioma's, so why not Ali? Isabella cried her first year of life and ped doctor told me it was colic, I now begin to think it was pain from her H on her face. I don't want Ali going through the same experience as Isabella if we can prevent it.

I know what my decision would be. I am struggling at this time trying to decided if I should just skip the derm the doctor is sending Isabella to for a 5yr old eval at geisinger hospital and just scrap up what I can and make an appt with Dr. Warner or Dr. Fay.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-09-2008, 04:23 AM
kandbsmom kandbsmom is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 19
Default

I hear ya - we went through the same doubts with removing our baby's scalp hemangioma. I thought the same thing with "never forgiving myself" if something were to happen..
We went with our gut. And that was telling us to remove it. Of course we were terrified throughout the whole procedure, but we are happy we did it, the results could not be better and our daughter has no clue what went on.
Listen to what your mother instincts are telling you
Good luck!
__________________
Jen

Mom to Brendan (7 years old)
and Kayleigh (born 9/8/07)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-09-2008, 09:37 PM
aussiechick aussiechick is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 14
Default

We also had our daughters nasal bone H removed by Dr Reinisch, who was absolutely wonderful. We travelled from Australia to see him and the surgery went great. It was only an hour, 45 min in recovery then home. I now don't call it surgery, it was a procedure, just doesn't sound so huge. It was the best thing we ever did. The anticipation was far worse than the procedure its self. Like others have said, Ashleigh woke up fine, no crying, and never touched the incision at all. It really is amazing how easy the whole process was. It is just crazy that so many doctor's still go with the wait and see approach. I still can't believe that we had to travel to the US, to get a 1 hr procedure done, when we have surgeons more than capable here who could have done it, but most are still caught up in the 'wait and see' era. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. And just know that there is so much support here and you are not alone.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump