7 week old Hemangioma on Forehead - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 01-24-2008, 07:08 PM

well, we had ours removed at 6 1/2 months, and it didnt grow back, although the incision was so tight that the doc ended up leaving a tiny bit of the H (he warned us that there might be residual H left post surgery) so as of now, she has a slightly raised smaller skin color bump, but compared to what WAS there, its fine with us, it hasnt gotten any bigger, and she's almost 1 year old, so for us, it never grew back, just the leftover H was a problem. We are seeing the surgeon next month and im going to ask him if it is at risk for growing or not...the only diff between this bump and her original one is this one is skin color, with a tinge of blue, and the other was bright red!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 PM

Regarding growing back...

When my youngest had her first surgery, we asked the doctor to remove the smaller hemangioma on top of her head (in addition to the larger one on the face, just below the eye). The one on top of her head had always been the less aggressive one, and responded well to the steroids. It never got bigger than about an inch in diameter, and protruded about 1/2 inch.

Doctor said that the scar on top of the head would be raised for a few months, then flatten out - which it did. Then 3 or 4 months after the surgery, it started to "come back." It is still a little puffy and red even now, at 3.5 years old.

Since it is under hair, you don't usually notice it (though her hair is not real thick, and it is blond). Even more interesting I think - and it may be an "illusion" of sorts - is when you feel that area on top of her head, you cannot feel the skull. Feels like a depression there, wonder if we should have done the CAT scan as recommended in the MRI report (as they could not tell if the top of head hemangioma might be going into bone).

I would follow the wait and see, or if you are really concerned, find someone willing to do steroids. Long term effects have been studied - perhaps you can contact one of the experts on this site. I don't know why you would need sedation for laser of a fairly small area. I know some doctors will do sedation or GA for some procedures, and others will not do anything. My youngest had no sedation for the steroid injection into the face, just below the eye.

Good luck, try to enjoy your new addition, don't worry too much about the hemangioma.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 PM

I made an appointment with a pediatric plastic surgeon listed on this site (DR. Jay Burns) before I got this other appointment and I have decided to take her to see Dr. Burns and if he has the same opinion then I will relax and realize that I have done all that I can do. I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing for her. This is my third child, I have two older boys, and you would think that I would calm down a bit and not be so protective. Thank yall for your words of encouragement it means a lot to me.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:28 AM

lpm,

I am a little confused. Did your daughter have surgery on the one on the top of her head and if she did who did you use? And about the hemangioma going into the bone, I didn't know that it could do that? Did your doctor say that it might be possible for it to do that?

I emailed Dr. Fay a picture of my daughter Lindie and told him what the doc here in fort worth said. He said that he would definately start with laser treatment now and that it is not that unreasonable to wait a couple months (not the 10 months that the doc here recommended) for her to get bigger and then have the removal but to definately start with the laser asap. I think that I am just going to make an appointment with Dr. Waner in New York and see what he has to say.

To all of you that have replied Thank you thank you thank you. I have been a emotional wreck for the past week. I have cried and cried and cried. I have waited a long time for this little girl. My mother in law, whom she is named after died four weeks before she was born. She had cancer and she tried her best to stay here until her little angel got here but she couldn't last any longer. My daughter actually has her hands which is a little freaky and looks like her. So this little baby is so special to our whole family and we are all just worried sick. My husband being a surgeon himself knows the risk to any surgery and especially with a baby this young. My hearts go out to all of these parents who are dealing with this. I am just so thankful not to be alone and have support and advice of this forum. Thanks again and God Bless you all and your little ones!
Old 01-26-2008, 10:21 AM

We did have the hemangioma on top of the head removed, but it was not the one of real concern. We did not know until the surgery if the doctor (Dr. Reinisch in CA) would remove that one - he (and we) were not very concerned about the top of the head hemangioma as it was small (in a relative sense) and not problematic.

Some others can respond about hemangiomas on the head growing into bone/brain, as I believe there are some that have cases like that, but I also think it is quite unusual. I asked for a copy of the MRI, which they gave me on a CD. It was pretty neat - could scroll through from one side of her head to the other - and I understand that it was tough to see where the top of head one ended (though it was clearly not in the brain).

If you would like, I can email some pictures of her case, though there are very few of the smaller (top of head) hemangioma - mostly the larger one on the cheek.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:07 PM

lpm,
Do you have Dr. Reinisch email or office number. I can't seem to find that information. The number on the information page is not correct. I would love for you to email me pics, especially ones on the head of before and after surgery. My email is wisephotographyinc@yahoo.com
Old 01-26-2008, 08:58 PM

California
Last Name Reinisch
First Name John F.
Title/Specializing In Surgeon
Hospital/Clinic Cedars Sinai Medical Center
Address 250 N Robertson Blvd. Suite 506
Address Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Work Phone 310-385-6090
Other Phone
Fax
E-mail JFR654@aol.com