Minnesota Mom with young daughter vm - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 02-20-2008, 06:17 PM

Default Minnesota Mom with young daughter vm

Hi, I have a daughter who is 3 1/2 years old and has a venous malformation of her right cheek and lip. We have just had a consultation with Dr. Clay at Mayo Clinic in Rochester. His thought was to do Sclerotherapy with Sotradecol. Have any of you experienced this and if so what are your thoughts or outcomes. With the research I have done and the doctors we have talked with it seem that laser therapy would be a non toxic way of approaching this. Has anyone had laser therapy and be willing to share your experience with it?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom s View Post
Hi, I have a daughter who is 3 1/2 years old and has a venous malformation of her right cheek and lip. We have just had a consultation with Dr. Clay at Mayo Clinic in Rochester. His thought was to do Sclerotherapy with Sotradecol. Have any of you experienced this and if so what are your thoughts or outcomes. With the research I have done and the doctors we have talked with it seem that laser therapy would be a non toxic way of approaching this. Has anyone had laser therapy and be willing to share your experience with it?

Hey!

Believe it or not, I have a neighbor who has a granddaughter with a VM on her lip, she has just had her first laser treatment and it looks good so far. I'm not sure on what type of laser was used, although I do know she will have multiple treatments.

I have a VM througout my left arm/elbow, and have had sclerotherapy using ethanol alcohol. I had 2 treatments total, and was just told by a doctor at Mayo in Jax FL, that any further treatments (using sclero.) would be too risky as the VM is now very small.

I'm sorry I don't have better advice, if I were you I'd go with what feels right and make sure you are beyond comfortable with the doctor who will be doing the procedure.

Go with your gut.

Feel free to ask me anything...
Old 02-28-2008, 01:20 AM

Hi, thanks for the information. I was wondering if maybe you could find out what kind of laser treatment your neighbor's granddaughter had? Was it surface laser or did they actually insert the laser into the veins?

Thanks,
Mom S
Old 02-29-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom s View Post
Hi, thanks for the information. I was wondering if maybe you could find out what kind of laser treatment your neighbor's granddaughter had? Was it surface laser or did they actually insert the laser into the veins?

Thanks,
Mom S
I will, she actually goes back for another treatment on March 3rd.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:47 PM

I did ask her mom what type of laser was used and she didn't know.

Poor little thing was very swollen, but kept on smiling.

Hope your little one is doing okay.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Thank you for asking!