new school - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Youth and Teen Support

Old 03-17-2008, 04:04 AM

Question new school

so i'm going to a new school (i'll be a junior in high school)this year and i really want to start wearing shorts and dresses and stuff. but i'm soooo self concious of my PWS. it's all over the outside of my right leg. it's not verry dark but still obvious. i think i'd feel more comfortable wearing shorts in front of people that i'm meeting for the first time, just to be able to get the stress of telling them about my birthmark out of the way quickly.

so what do you guys think? any tips or advice about showing people your PWS? any tips on making friends in a new school? i need all the help i can get >.<'
Old 03-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

You seem smart and literate. I bet you don't really have a problem making real friends.

Go into it with the attitude that you ARE going to have a wonderful time, no matter what. And I bet you that you will!

I remember in school there was a girl named Samantha. She had a HUGE brown birthmark down the front of her face. It looked like Italy. There was NO way to hide this, no makeup worked, nothing. After knowing her for a few weeks, I didn't even notice it. Simply, I think, because she never made an issue of it. It just was what it was.

Spring is coming. Get out some short shorts and go!!

Missy
Old 03-17-2008, 11:21 PM

Hello Sarah,

Missy is right. You should not hide your birthmark just to make yourself suffer in the spring or summer. I have a facial PWS so it would be impossible to hide my birthmark. You will get looks and every once and a while get questions about it, but you they can tell it bothers you then others will make a bill deal out of it. My fiancee and my friends almost forget I even have a birthmark even though you can almost see it from a mile away. LOL
I learned at a very young age to just let the comments go in one ear and out the other or to let them roll off your shoulders. Some times I even look at it this way they are just making a fool out of themselves. I work in retail and everyday have people mostly children look or point at my birthmark. Just make it positive, and educate the children then it makes you feel like you are doing good for the public and children.

Stay strong and do not let anybody hold you back from what you want to do in life even if that is wearing shorts and skirts.

Hank
Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 AM

thank you missy and hank! very inspiring comments! and you're both right, i should get out there and show some leg although much easier said than done. ^_^

now all i need to do is go tan!