surgery in California - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 05-22-2008, 03:21 PM

Default surgery in California

Hi Everyone!

This is my first time on here...my daughter has a hemangioma between her eyes at the top of her nose. It is not huge and it is not red but it is noticable. It looks like she has a bump there. People ask me if she fell. Sometimes it looks bluish. We are going to California and having it removed on July 1. (We live in PA) I was just wondering if any of you have gone to Dr.Reinisch in LA and if so, what you thought of him? Of course, I am nervous because she will be under anesthesia. He said it doesn't take much and she will be breathing on her own during it...it is a one hour procedure. I welcome any comments or feedback about him.

Thank You!
Misty
Old 05-23-2008, 12:39 AM

My youngest has had two surgeries with Dr. Reinisch - we are also from PA. She could still use some laser (she is almost 4 years old), but I think we are finished with plastic surgery.

We are happy with the results. She did better with GA the first time (at 11 months old) than the second (at 2 yrs, 4 mos). She was puking for about 18 hours after the surgery the second time - which makes the hotel staff real happy - but by 24 hours after the surgery, she was eating Burger King. She did not need any pain medication after either surgery.

Good luck, and have a good trip to CA.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:01 AM

I've talked via email with Dr. Reinisch a number of times; I met him in person to consult on my son's case as well. Though my son's hemangioma was not the type of h. he could surgically remove...he was very open to giving his opinion and I appreciated the time he gave (he was on vacation visiting his daughter who lives near me). He has always been very helpful and prompt with email replies.

From the results I have seen he is a gifted plastic surgeon.

C
Old 05-26-2008, 03:00 AM

Dr. Reinisch is a very caring man. He has had a lot of experience with dealing with hemangioma, so your child is in good hands. He did my surgery in March for a lymphatic malformation and I couldn't be happier. He did a great job. Good luck with everything.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:19 AM

My daughter had surgery with Dr. Reinisch last July when she was 13 months old. He did an amazing job and we could not be happier. Her hemangioma was in the middle of her forehead and quite large. Her surgery took a little less than an hour and I think it was harder on my husband and I than on her. She was quite black and blue for a week or so but then she was back to normal. All she had was a very thin line down the middle of her forehead. It is really amazing to see the difference. The anticipation and worrying about the surgery was much worse than the actual experience. We flew down to LA from Idaho so it was also a trip for us, but well worth it for the wonderful care our little girl was given. Good luck and please let me know if I can help in any way.
Rory
Old 05-27-2008, 03:55 PM

How did your daughter do with the anesthesia? Did you have the surgery done at Cedars or the Special Sugery Center? How is the scar doing...I hear when they get it done young that sometimes you can't even see the scar after time.

Thanks,
Misty
Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM

My kiddo had both surgeries at the Surgery Center. Dr. Reinisch moved to Cedars Sinai fairly recently, so I think that the other person posting about surgery last July probably was at either the Surgery Center or CHLA.

Here is a link to another post where I attached some before photos (2 photos) and after (one photo after each surgery). You will likely always see a scar, but it has faded with time. It varies case to case, and in some cases the scar does fade to almost invisible.

http://birthmark.org/board/showthrea...4732#post14732
Old 06-01-2008, 06:17 AM

Hello,

Dr. Reinisch operated on our daughter Sophia's eyelid hemangioma in March when she was just five months old. He is our hero. He did a great job and was so supportive and wonderful throughout the whole process. The attached photos are:

Sophia 12 weeks just after her first steroid injection
Sophia almost 8 months old - no more hemagioma and just a tiny scar !

Please do not hesitate to email me any and all questions. I know how you must feel as we were really really worried all the way up to the surgery! It was the best decision for us and Dr. R is really one of the best!

Ellie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sophia12weeks.jpg (26.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Sophia8months.jpg (35.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-01-2008, 02:14 PM

Hi again,
I wrote in about my daughter having surgery last July with Dr. Reinisch. Her surgery was done at the surgery center and it went very smoothly. It was a nice atmosphere and there was somewhere to go for coffee and something to eat just downstairs which was nice. That may sound silly, but at the time, anything to take our minds of her surgery was so nice.
Louise did fine with the anesthesia. Dr. Jumper was her anesthesiologist and he was WONDERFUL. A very sweet, kind man. She did cry when we handed her over, mostly stranger anxiety I think. But she did fine waking up and had no side effects except that she did vomit shortly afterwards. I think we gave her too much milk right after surgery and she was nauseous and couldn't handle it. That was our only setback--especially as it occurred while we were in a restaurant having lunch. Ugh, it was a mess but she recovered very quickly
I have attached two pictures of Louise--one on her first birthday, about 5 weeks prior to surgery and one in March, about 8 months post surgery. Her scar is very minimal and it is fading with time. We are still careful with her in the sun, but otherwise there is nothing to worry about anymore--especially no more stares and questions!!
I wish you the best of luck with the upcoming surgery. I'm sure it will go very smoothly. Please let me know if I can help in any other way.
Best wishes,
Rory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Birthday girl1 Tiny.jpg (36.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Tiny Ears.jpg (72.3 KB, 37 views)