Surgery Update - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

   VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2008, 03:32 AM
susan1999 susan1999 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4
Default Surgery Update

Just wanted to give you an update on my daughter's recent surgery...
She had her Hemangioma removed from her forehead 2 weeks ago (she is 6 months old). Surgery was less than an hour and everything went perfectly! When she woke up from surgery she took a bottle, slept for 3 hours, and then was back to playing right away! She has completely healed and her scar looks amazing! I still can't believe how smoothly it all went.
This was a difficult decision, especially since I chose an out-of-network specialist and had to pay for everything myself. BUT for any of you who are wondering whether you should go through with surgery, I would urge you to do it. Her surgeon told me that once he got in there, the hemangioma was growing back into her head and was deeper than he was anticipating. I AM SO THANKFUL I HAD IT REMOVED NOW. What if I had listened to the doctors who told me to "wait and see?" Who knows how far back into her head it would have grown. As mothers we are blessed with a "motherly instinct" and mine was telling me from day one to remove this. Listen to your gut! You know what is best for your baby.
I'll try to post pictures later.
Best wishes to everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-25-2008, 11:43 AM
EJsMommy EJsMommy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Travis AFB, Fairfield, CA
Posts: 37
Default

Wonderful! I'm glad she recovered so smoothly and is doing so well! We'd love photos
__________________
Cristine
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM
lolaolatunji_80 lolaolatunji_80 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Hi All,

I am new to this site, so please bear with me. My daughter, Adriana has just turned 2 years old. She has a H on her cheeck and on her head. I have been advised to wait and see with no other options given apart from giving her propanolol. I am very worried that this is not going to work and dont want to take the risk, because the H has grown and is at a steady point. The only worry now is that its not showing any signs of regression and the one on her head seems to have gotten bigger! I have been to Great Ormond street but they keep giving me cream to apply to her skin! I have requested to see a surgeon to assess her to see if she is a candidate for excision. I wanted to ask your advice really to find out where in the Uk i can have surgery to remove the H, it has completely distorted her gums and her teeth are not growing properly. Please help.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-24-2010, 12:48 AM
smurph smurph is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 409
Default

Great news! We also struggled with deciding to do surgery on our 5 year old daughter who has a lip hemangioma, but she had hers in June and it went very well also. It is nice to have it behind us. I'm sure you know the feeling of relief! Glad to hear everything went well!
shannon
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2010, 11:32 AM
missy missy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaolatunji_80 View Post
Hi All,

I am new to this site, so please bear with me. My daughter, Adriana has just turned 2 years old. She has a H on her cheeck and on her head. I have been advised to wait and see with no other options given apart from giving her propanolol. I am very worried that this is not going to work and dont want to take the risk, because the H has grown and is at a steady point. The only worry now is that its not showing any signs of regression and the one on her head seems to have gotten bigger! I have been to Great Ormond street but they keep giving me cream to apply to her skin! I have requested to see a surgeon to assess her to see if she is a candidate for excision. I wanted to ask your advice really to find out where in the Uk i can have surgery to remove the H, it has completely distorted her gums and her teeth are not growing properly. Please help.
I'm curious as to why you don't want to do the propanolol? What risks have you heard about?

Missy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2010, 03:53 AM
nickbar nickbar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,054
Default

It is important to have all the options given to you (risks and benefits of each) so you can make the best choice..in my opinion. Propanolol has shown great results in some cases, but it is a new treatment for hemangiomas. Most of the time a child is admitted for observation when first receiving propanolol as a precaution. I hope other UK parents can share their experiences. I would also encourage you to email the "ask the experts" on the VBF home page
__________________
Corinne Barinaga
VBF Director of Family Services
vbfadvocate @ live. com (no spaces)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2010, 01:52 PM
KatieG KatieG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 143
Default

so glad to hear! My daughter is having surgery in two weeks. Who did your daughters surgery?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removal Surgery at 4 years - UK or USA - pls help? lynnmmoir Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 17 08-24-2010 03:16 AM
Can't find a doctor to recommend surgery Imnay2 Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 1 01-29-2008 02:26 AM
Surgery with Dr. Waner and TLC filming the surgery hankbartenbach Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 50 01-29-2006 02:38 PM
HANK - SURGERY UPDATE swsc Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 4 02-21-2005 12:51 PM
Surgery or No surgery? mom2KandK AVM Help and Resources 3 05-16-2004 11:12 PM