My daughter is having laser treatment on 5 H's - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 05-30-2008, 06:31 PM

Default My daughter is having laser treatment on 5 H's

Hi there-

I just wanted to write in for some friendly support! My 5 month old daughter, Allison, is having her first laser treatment with Dr. Waner and his team in NY this coming Monday for 5 hemangiomas. As a first time parent, I'm nervous but I've heard Dr. Waner and his team are excellent and after meeting them I'm quite confident. Can anyone tell me from experience what has happened after a first treatment? She may need 5-6. Also, does anyone know of any groups in the NJ area for parents with babies that have himangeomas? It may be nice just to meet each other. My email is edit96@aol.com if you want to write there as well. Thanks! Jennifer
Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 PM

My son had his first laser treatment done by Dr Buckmiller at the end of April. It took about 10 min for her to laser 3 of his 7. They looked black afterward, but that's a good sign. The black started to fade after about a week and the purple/red color started to come back, but not quite as angry looking. He has to have one more at the end of July before he has surgery in
Jan/Feb.

I hope your procedure goes well. Keep us posted.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:11 PM

Default Thanks so much for your reply

Hi there-

Thanks so much for writing and letting me know what it was like. How old is your son? How is he now? I'm also concerned about her not eating 6 hrs prior! I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Hi there,
my son had his first laser when he was 40 days old. He had three in total. Now he is 21 months old and he is healthy and great looking!!!
The H has almost gone away.
Do not worry. The procedure does not last long, and afterwards the colour becomes as jeneley said, but it swells also. Don't worry, they will all go away in time.
My son also had almost 8 hours without milk but he did just fine!
So will your baby too.
Don't be anxious. Just keep in mind that this will help your baby!
Good luck!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlev View Post
Hi there-

Thanks so much for writing and letting me know what it was like. How old is your son? How is he now? I'm also concerned about her not eating 6 hrs prior! I'll keep you posted.
He's 7 months old now, but had the treatment a month ago. Suprisingly, he did well with the "no food" thing before surgery. He was able to have juice just 4 hours before the procedure, so it wasn't that bad. He is doing great now. Everyone comments on how much better the hemangioma on his nose looks after just one procedure.

Good Luck! I'll be thinking about you.