Second baby with an H - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 05-31-2008, 05:16 AM

Default Second baby with an H

My 5 week old baby has a scalp hemangioma that is growing quite quickly. We saw a ped. dermatologist today who was wonderful. He just wants to watch the growth for now (it is about 1.5 cm at this time) and also prescribed some topical steroidal cream. He did not think that the cream would do a whole lot, but may slow the growth. Does anyone have any experience with the steroidal creams????
By the way, I used to post on this board when my last child was diagnosed with a forehead H. Kind of weird to have two children in a row with a hemangioma! I have to say though, that they are both really healthy, and when all is said and done, if this is the worst health issue I have to deal with, I will be a lucky Mom!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:07 PM

We tried topical cream for just a few wks. But, with no results and some advice from other doctors, we ceased to apply. I am more than happy to share if you want. Keep us posted on how things are going.
Sherri Foster
sherrirfoster@sbcglobal.net
Old 05-31-2008, 04:21 PM

Hi Sherri,
Did you stop the application of the cream because it wasn't working or because there were contraindications? I really don't expect it to do anything, because the H has a deep component.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:49 AM

We used clobetasol on my daughter's h. It is a small superficial h on her nose. We put it on three times day for the first two months, then twice, and finally once a day. We started using it when she was two months old and stopped when she was five months old. I think it did help slow the growth and the h started involuting at four months. I was worried about it thinning her skin and it never did. I think it would hurt a h that was quickly growing, may cause it to ulcerate. I don't know how well it would work on a deep hemangioma.

Last edited by abirk : 06-01-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info Abirk:
I was wondering about the potential for ulceration as well. Good to hear from someone who has used this on their child
Old 06-02-2008, 05:24 AM

hi...we used it 2 times a day for two weeks starting at about 2 months of age. It helped calm down the puffiness of the red part but it was not a long term solution...only prescribed for 2 weeks...as we were moving on to laser...my son has a compound H...I too was worried about skin thinning...did not see that but may have over time. the area around the H blanched (looked white) supposedly from restricted blood flow. we have since done 2 injections and 1 laser..the H is stable for now at 4 months