Removal of lymphatic malformation - post-operative expectations? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Lymphatic Malformations (also known as cystic hygroma and lymphangioma)

Old 09-07-2008, 05:02 PM

Arrow Removal of lymphatic malformation - post-operative expectations?

Our 10mo son has a LM on his head that involves his upper left brow and forehead and left temporal area. I'm told it's a "large" malformation. We've seen several surgeons - all recommend surgical removal. The recommendation is to do a coronal incision (a cut from ear to ear going over the head in a zig-zag pattern). I know he'll have a drain but I don't really know what else to expect to see (how many drains? what will the swelling be like? will head head be all bandaged up? how long? how do we keep him from yanking out the drains? will his WHOLE head be shaved?)

If anyone or their child has had this coronal incision for removal of a LM, can you tell me about it?
Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 PM

If it is that large of an incision, he may have two drains. Though usually one drain is used. It varies from case to case. His head will most likely be bandaged, in order to keep the incision line clean. I don't see any reason as to them having to shave the whole head, but I really am not sure about that. You can try asking Dr. Levitin on the ask the expert part of this website. He has been very helpful with all of the question I have had. Hope all goes well. Good Luck. Hugs.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:09 PM

Default Think we may have some things in common

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2three View Post
Our 10mo son has a LM on his head that involves his upper left brow and forehead and left temporal area. I'm told it's a "large" malformation. We've seen several surgeons - all recommend surgical removal. The recommendation is to do a coronal incision (a cut from ear to ear going over the head in a zig-zag pattern). I know he'll have a drain but I don't really know what else to expect to see (how many drains? what will the swelling be like? will head head be all bandaged up? how long? how do we keep him from yanking out the drains? will his WHOLE head be shaved?)

If anyone or their child has had this coronal incision for removal of a LM, can you tell me about it?
Mom,
I sent you a private message but now have rights to post in the thread. After reading your other post we do have a lot of similarities in our children and what they have gone through. Please feel free to email me or call if you have any questions.