Anxious about surgery - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 PM

Default Anxious about surgery

Hello everyone,

Our 13 month old daughter is scheduled to have surgery next week with Dr. Waner and as the big day gets closer I am becoming more and more nervous. Can anyone who has been through the surgical excision process give me any advice on what to expect that day. I am scaring myself silly thinking of things that could go wrong and am nervous in general about what the day will bring. Will she be very sore, will we have to do anything special to protect the incision while she is sleeping (her h is on her left temple). Any advice would be comforting.

Thanks for the support.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:50 AM

Hey there - my daughter, Rachel went through 10 procedures with Dr. Waner in New York. I was always scared - I am her mother, that is part of my job. But I can tell you that you are in the very best of hands. E-mail me privately and we can chat. Sherrirfoster@sbcglobal.net. My daughter is now 3 and doing so well. I am more than happy to answer any questions you have. I wish you the best... what day is her surgery?

Sherri
Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 PM

My daughter had surgical excision at 12 months. shes 14 months now and doing wonderful! you can see her progress and story here....surgery date was june 16th on the journal. www.caringbridge.org/visit/avaball from what i understand, your in great hands iwth Dr Waner. We chose a closer dr to us and had excellent results. as far as how sore she will be and how she reacts is completley relevant to each child and how major the surgery was. Ava was up and trying to use her arm that next morning even with having a great deal of the skin on her arm removed and stitched back up. good luck and know that our thoughts are with you. its a difficult yet exciting time.

Jessica Ball
www.caringbridge.org/visit/avaball

Last edited by jgoodman0814 : 09-09-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:05 PM

Hello - first off, know you are in the BEST hands with Dr. Waner. My daughter Riley, had a large hemangioma on her scalp - it was the size of a baseball at it's largest. Dr. Waner performed six surgeries on her (the first three were surgical excisions, and the last three were scar revisions.) The first surgery was also at 13 months old - her surgical incision was covered by surgi-strips, and gauze, and they had a mesh like bandage covering her entire head. This was the only surgery that had any type of bandage other than the surgi-strips. For all of her surgeries, I kept her well medicated with the tylenol/codeine for the first 24 hours. After that, advil if I sensed she was in pain. She was always vocal enough to let me know her pain level! Here is my advice for the day of:
Bring a bag full of "surprises" - I always hit the dollar store and pick up little books and toys that she has never seen before - the party store is good too, as they have all types of little goodies.

Portable DVD player and DVD's..... saved us, and made waiting much easier.

A bottle/sippee cup filled with favorite beverage HIDDEN in your bag - when they wake up in recovery they are thirsty and hungry - I say HIDDEN because she cant have anything before the surgery, and you dont want her to see it in your bag. (My husband always had the backpack with the HIDDEN loot!)

Spare PJ's and diapers

I am not sure what hospital you will be at, but we had all of Riley's surgery done at ROOSEVELT. Depending on what anesthesiologist you have, they will let her stay in her own PJ's, and some even held on to Riley's blanket and pacifier so she had it in recovery right away. Dr. Franco is our personal favorite, but they are all wonderful

Expect a long day - usually you check in by 7am. Depending on the length of the surgery, we were usually on our way home by 5pm. We are fortunate to live in NJ, so it's an easy trip.

My e-mail is kbenedik@mac.com if you think of any more questions.

Riley is four now, and we are almost done with our hemangioma journey. We have a long scar, and a silver dollar size bald spot.

I wish you the best next week - please feel free to contact me! I will help answer any questions you might have!

Kelli (mom to Riley Jane, age 4, scalp hemangioma)

PS: They also let you carry your daughter into the OR, and you can hold her until she is asleep - Dr. Levitan (Dr. Waner's right hand) will walk you out of the OR into the waiting room. The walk for me is the hardest, but 5mg of valium helped alot. No joking there.