Will it go away???? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 02-28-2010, 08:41 PM

Default Will it go away????

my 13 mo old has a hemangioma on her check. I have been told it should go away. The only thing we have done is use Clobetasol on it for 2 weeks, I didn't really see any change. Laser has been mentioned. I just don't really know alot about it., but have been told it should go away. Has anyone else taken the wait and see approach? Did it completely go away? Do you wish you would have went ahead and done laser or something?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Lots of people take the wait and see approach and it is entirely appropriate if the hemangioma is small. They do go away.

Treatment must be decided on a case by case basis.

Missy
Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 AM

Hello, these hemangiomas really have a mind of their own and one might involute and one might not completely. My son had oral steroids and 8 laser treatments. He is now 6 years old and even though we are THRILLED with the results...he still at age 6 has some color distortion in the area. He has a great attitude though. "I think it looks cool", was his reply when we asked if he wanted to do one more laser tx. (he doesn't remember the other tx because they were all done before age 3). It really is up to you...follow your instincts. At this point it isn't doing any damage and time is on your side. Get opinions from some of the experts and see what fits with your wishes
Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 AM

With both our boys, their hemangiomas started involution around 18 months old. There was a noticeable difference after 6 weeks. Our 3.5 year old still has a few dots leftover from his, but they're fading more each day. We're waiting to see if our youngest's H takes the same course - his is a much bigger H - it's already started to break down, we'll see how long it takes!
Taking the 'wait and see' approach, for now.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:28 PM

EFMomma: Do you happen to have pictures of the involution process for your kids? Especially the one with the forehead H? My DD is now 21 months old and I "think" we are seeing signs of the involution process (the H is less red, looks a bit faded but nothing more than that). I'd love to see pics of the process so I have something to compare to....
Blessed: My cousin had an H on his cheek, unfortunately it ulcerated and they had to go with the laser. However, I think if it is a small H, you can probably do the wait and see approach. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with, though.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessamarie View Post
EFMomma: Do you happen to have pictures of the involution process for your kids? Especially the one with the forehead H? My DD is now 21 months old and I "think" we are seeing signs of the involution process (the H is less red, looks a bit faded but nothing more than that). I'd love to see pics of the process so I have something to compare to....

No good pics yet (lots of it's initial growth!) - I will be taking some new ones soon and will post them for comparison.
Taking the 'wait and see' approach, for now.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:40 PM

Hi there. My son also has a hemangioma on his cheek and we're taking the watch and wait approach. Some days it looks like it might be starting to look duller and then other days it's looks darker again. He's 11 months now so I'm hoping we might start to see some signs of it fading soon.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Because these birthmarks are vascular, they can change appearance as things happen in the body. Lots of parents notice changes when a child is crying, or hungry, or sick! I know yours is older and you're talking day to day changes, but I would wonder if temperature would have anything to do with that. Interesting concept.

Missy
Old 03-28-2010, 02:48 PM

Oh yes I'm pretty sure it's to do with temperature changes too. He had a bit of a temperature the last few days and it was bigger and today he's feeling better and his bm seems to be less swollen and back to normal. His also goes darker when he cries - does anyone know if this normal in the resting period?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:48 AM

Even i've noticed with my 5 month old baby. When ever he cries h becomes darker...But from past couple of weeks, at center of the h we can see transparent skin. Seems like red spot is slowly disappearing. Is it involution??? But bump is growing