Parents Magazine - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 11-24-2008, 02:18 AM

Default Parents Magazine

Page 40 of the December issue of Parents Magazine has an article titled Clearing Up Baby Birthmarks. The picture that accompanies the article is of a beautiful baby, but the baby has no visible birthmarks. The article talks about hemangiomas, and is very short. I am thankful that they are talking about hemangiomas, and hopefully educating the readers of their magazine. But, they should have included a picture of a hemangioma, or a baby that has one. Fully educate the readers.
You can email the editor mailbag@parentsmag.com

My daughter has a hemangioma on the bridge of her nose, and we are about to have her 3rd laser treatment. I have had many cruel and harsh encounters with people when I am out with my baby, and I snapped today. What do other parents say to people who have mean or rude comments about their precious children? I feel the urge to protect her, but am at a loss for words. Usually because I am trying not to cry. I feel the urge to educate them about hemangiomas, but also want to tell them how hurtful they are.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:12 AM

My daughter has birthmark on the top of her nose and we have heard it all. I always take the time to educate them about birthmarks so hopefully they don't say the same comment to someone else. I had a comment awhile back and after my discussion with them I started thinking what kinda experiences did they have growing up to assume my daughter's mark was from abuse or neglect. Please don't let the comments get to you. I was not enjoying my outings with my daughter for the longest time because I was dreading the stares and comments and now I don't care. I truly hear more comments on how cute and pretty she is more than comments about the birthmark. Keep those comments on your mind not the rude and hurtful comments.

April
Old 12-16-2008, 11:26 PM

I can fully empathize with your feelings. I drove home from stores in tears on many occasions. My daughter had a very large hemangioma on her forehead. I also tried to simply educate people on what it actually was and that "no, there was not something wrong with her". It is very frustrating and hurtful to see how thoughtless people can be. Our daughter had her hemangioma surgically removed by Dr. Reinisch when she was 13 months old. It is amazing to see the difference and wonderful to not have to deal with the comments anymore. Just know that your baby is beautiful and people who can not see beyond the birthmark are really missing something. Hang in there!!