Need help...where do i go from here? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 PM

Default Need help...where do i go from here?

My son has a pws on his face, it goes slightly onto his eyelid. It is not too large, maybe like the size of a half dollar. I have been to 7 different dermatologists, and I was sent to a plastic surgeon to look at it. My son is 18 months old and every doctor keeps telling me to start laser therapy now so that he wont need as many treatments. He has health insurance through the state(medicaid). So at this point, dermatologists will not do the therapy because it is too close to his eye and they dont do anesthesia in their office. They have said that it would be "torture" for him to do it without anesthesia, and they dont want to do it because it is near his eye. They sent me to a plastic surgeon, the plastic surgeon has to do it in the operating room, they are not able to get pre-approval for my insurance, so they said they have to do it and submit it afterwards to see if my insurance company will cover it. If it doesnt cover it, they said I would have to pay the charges which would be around $4000-$5000 for one treatment because of having to use the operating room, and the anestheia, etc. They said it would probably take 6-10 treatments, possibly adding up to $50000, I dont know what to do at this point....can anyone help, does anyone have medicaid and insurance has covered laser treatment?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Administrator

If you haven't already, write to our insurance expert:

http://birthmark.org/experts.php

Missy
Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM

There is an Hemangioma Treatment Foundation Center in Charleston, SC. Just type it in online to get info about it. They will help children in the event there is no insurance to cover the treatments. They will also be able to tell you where to get help if you are not able to travel to Charleston. Dr. Hochman is an excellent facial plastic surgeon. He is the medical director of the center and travels worldwide to perform surgeries on children who are not able to afford the cost. My grand-daughter had a huge hemangioma on her face and he removed it when she was 1 yr old. You cant even tell she ever had it. Please let me know how it turns out if you do call them. Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:35 PM

I'm not sure how they would treat the eyelid. That is a question for the doctor. I know that when my son receives treatment, they do not treat his eyelid or the area very near his eye so as to avoid any injury to the eye.
jshiggie@gmail.com