What would you do? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 02-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Default What would you do?

Monday we have an appointment with Dr. Hochman in Charleston. Tuesday we have an appointment with the ped. dermatologist at Emory. If we are given the option to do a laser treatment on Monday, should we do it or should we wait and hear what the dermatologist opinion is on Tuesday before deciding how to treat? I know this is a decision we have to make ourselves, but I want to be prepared in case we have that option, and I value your opinions. The fact that it is ulcerated (lip) makes me a little impatient. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Dr. Hochman has a LOT of experience. I would value his opinion highly.

IF you are offered the option of laser on Monday, I would simply say to him, "We have an appointment tomorrow at Emory. Can we schedule laser treatment after we meet with this ped. derm?"

I mean, he's a reasonable guy. If I felt pressure from a physician about something that concerned one of my children, I'd think twice about working with that doctor.

Let us know how it goes and what you decide!!

Missy
Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 AM

Default Dr Hochman, Charleston, SC

Missy,
I know this is late as you posted 2 weeks ago. I was wondering what your decision was. My granddaughter was referred to Dr Hochman when she was diagnosed with a facial hemangioma at the age of 3 weeks. He guided my daughter and son in law for 11 months at which time he then removed it. I know how impatient a parent can be when they have to go through this. You just want to get something done. Dr Hochman is a fantastic Dr. Have you ever seen him on the discovery channel. They showed how he removed an hemangioma from a little girls eyelid. It was amazing.
He did a wonderful job on Merrin. Her hemangioma grew rapidly and it was a scary thing to watch as it grew. It pushed her nose over and down and also pushed her lip down. Now you would never know. My email address is ellenvandervort@yahoo.com. I would like to send you some before and after pics of Merrin. Stay positive and everything will work out.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:58 PM

We enjoyed meeting Dr. Hochman and really appreciated his evaluation of Maysie and her hemangioma. Because of the location on her lip, he didn't feel that surgery was a good option, and he felt that laser could cause some discoloration. He wanted to re-evaluate in 4-6 months unless we had any other problems. By that day the ulceration was nearly healed.

The next day was our appointment at Emory pediatric dermatology. Dr. Lawley was also great, and we discussed many options but I was primarily interested in finding out if Maysie was a candidate for propranolol. We decided to go that route, and she started the medication two days later. I am very pleased with the results. Her hemangioma is significantly smaller, and we have had no negative side effects. It can have potentially serious side effects so she has been monitored closely. I feel really good about the decision we made overall.