Ulcerated Diaper Area Hamangioma - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM

Default Ulcerated Diaper Area Hamangioma

My 3 month old daughter was born with three hemangiomas: one on her back, one on her toe (goes between the toes and onto the back of her foot) and the third is on her inner labia. The toe area ulcerated and became infected- we've been treating it with Burrow's solution and Bactroban for almost a week. It has started to heal. However, the hemangioma on the inner labia has now ulcerated and causes great pain when she goes to the bathroom or comes in contact with water. My doctor advised us today to create a sitz bath with the Burrow's solution and to use the same ointment there also. I have been using the ointment for 3 days with no improvement and will start the sitz baths tonight.

I hate seeing my little girl in so much pain and am looking for support of other moms who have the same story. In researching diaper area hemangiomas I've not found many stories where the hemangioma is on the inner labia. I think that causes a unique set of problems since it is right in the midst of such sensitive skin and such.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:57 PM

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for your little one's pain! My little girl is 3 months today, isn't it an exciting time?! I hope that someone can help you find answers.

I'd like to ask you about the creams you are using. Are they prescribed by your doctor or could I get them over the counter?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 PM

We dealt with an ulceration on my daughter's lip. It was a miserable few weeks until it healed. I was quite concerned about infection and I'm sorry you're dealing with that on top of the immense pain of ulceration. It seems to me that in the diaper area it would be prone to repeated ulceration.

I would consider laser to heal the ulcerations and prevent more. We didn't go that route but definitely considered it. I would also consider propranolol to start involuting the H's- we did this and it's working well. I feel very optimistic that we won't have any more ulcerations because her H is shrinking now. I highly recommend seeing a pediatric dermatologist because it sounds like your daughter needs some intensive treatment. I would not be satisfied with creams and sitz baths if my daughter was in that kind of pain. We drove two hours to Atlanta to get the treatment I was looking for. It was well worth it. I hope she heals quickly.