H removal next week-questions - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 03-06-2009, 06:20 PM

Default H removal next week-questions

we just got back from Children's hospital of Philadelphia where we took our 7 month old for his badly ulcerated H on his head. They were going to do laser on it, but decided to just remove it. He is scheduled for surgery on Tues. This is all new to us. If your child had the H removed, what can we expect? It's general anesthesia, but outpatient surgery, so he will be home that same day. What is recovery like from that? I figure it can't be as bad as it has been this past week due to the pain he's had from the ulceration and all the bleeding.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 PM

I don't have any advice, but wanted to say good luck!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:42 AM

Default Recovery

Hi ! Very best of luck for your sons surgery. My daughter was 5 when her hemangioma was removed and she is now eight. She was very groggy following the op. so I kept her quiet and resting for as long as I could. Her scar healed very well. I gave her arnica pills to reduce the swelling. You can get an arnica spray and I have used this on my baby from as young as 6 months.Please check this with your Dr. though to make sure. As it was summer when my daughter had her op I also kept the wound covered as sun damage can make the healing take longer.

Hopefully someone with an infant will respond but I know from experience with my 3 kids that children are very resiliant and heal quickly.

Smiles
Gabrielle.
New Zealand.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:42 AM

Default healing after surgery

Our daughter had an extensive removal and did end up staying over night in the hospital. She slept for an entire 24 hours. After that she was fine. She never acted like she even had surgery. It was amazing. We were a wreck because she hadn't been walking that long and we were so afraid she'd fall. She went home with a drain in for about a week. She then had to have her stitches out under general anesthesia because she had so many on her face. Our children are so resilient. You will be suprised.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:32 PM

We are in the Philadelphia area too - though we had to go to CA for our youngest's two surgeries (CHOP refused until age 4).

Both surgeries were outpatient, and she was released about an hour after she came out of GA. First time (at 11 months) she was just a little groggy for the reminder of the day, second surgery (at 2 yrs, 4 months) she vomited (from GA) for about 18 hours, but was fine after that.

Kids bounce back quickly. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Just Thought That I Would Say That Our Thoughts Are With You. You Can Read My Daughters Story And See Her Photos On The Website Below. There Is A Journal Entry Around June Last Year That Talks About Her Surgery Day. Good Luck!

Jessica Ball
www.caringbridge.org/visit/avaball