Compund hemangioma on left cheek - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Default Compund hemangioma on left cheek

I'm new to this site and hoping to get some insightful information. Our 11 month old daughter has a large compound h on left cheek. Was treated with oral steroids over the summer but now our docs want to do the wait and see game before doing any further treatments. We would like to take a more aggressive approach b/c her doc feels she will eventually have to have some type of corrective surgery. Can anyone recommend the best doc to see for another opinion? In my research thus far the two names I come across our Dr. Waner and Dr. Hochman.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:01 PM

There are a number of doctors you could see for a second opinion. Depends on your location, insurance, etc.

My youngest had/had two hemangiomas. The larger one was on her right cheek just below the eye. She was treated with oral steroids (from 2 months to 5.5 months old) and a steroid injection at 7.5 months. She has had two plastic surgeries - one at 11 months and the other at 2 years, 4 months. We are considering when she will have her third surgery (hopefully the last one). She is now 4.5 years old, and the surgeries have greatly improved her appearance. She is not bothered by how she looks, but she likely will be a few years from now (judging from her sisters' comments - ages 11 & 13).

We traveled from the East Coast to the West Coast for the injection and surgeries for insurance reasons.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:59 PM

I agree with the post above. We too gathered many opinions even while my son was going thru treatment. We found the best route that fit our instincts. Another great resource is using the "ask the expert" form on this site. If you need any help, please let me know.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:15 AM

My daughter Madison has a large hemangioma that encompases her cheek nose and upper lip. Doctors in our area told us they don't do any treatment until she is 4, we finally came across Dr. Waner when she was 11 months old and started treatment for her at 12 months. I can tell you our experience and answer any questions you may have about our treatment with Dr. Waner.
Stacey
Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 PM

I urge you to seek Dr. Waner for a consultation. My daughter had a massive superficial hemangioma on her right cheek. We live in Louisiana and the doctors suggested using oral steriods, but told me that she was not a candidate for surgery until the mass involuted (ten years old maybe). I was told to surgery would be massive amounts of blood lost.

I remembered Dr. Waner from a story that was on t.v. about six years ago when he was in Arkansas. I came to this site and got in touch with Sherry, whom is the parent advocate for Dr. Waner. We talked on the phone and I sent her pics via email. She goes to New York frequently to review new cases with the doctor. He seen her pics and said a two partexcision was suggested. We set up a consutation though his department and we just went because we had nothing to lose.

To fast forward, Karlie is eight months old and she had her first surgery 12/08/2008. Only a little slither remains and all deep components were taken out. She healed well and by christmas the swelling was gone. I need to find out how to post her pics. Long story short, Know your options and consult the best.