Stork Bites, Angel Kisses, Salmon Patches - Page 5 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 12-30-2010, 01:31 AM

HI everyone, I am new to this site and just found it as I was looking for info on my son's marks. I wasn't told what they where from the doctor's at the hospital and my GP hasn't said much either. So I looked it up and it seems like my son has angel kisses or salmon patches. I am glad to see that they should go away and also they are not as bad as some of the photo's I have seen. He has a around red spot between his eyes and also has it on both eyelids. He also seems to have some small red marks on the back of his head but you can't really see them. The marks get worse if he cries and they become really red!! I would just like to say thanks for this tread and to everyone posting there stories.....it's made me feel better knowing I don't have to worry about it anymore!! Will try and post a photo if I can work out how lol!!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:50 PM

Hi Liemanr, your little boy is really gorgeous! His marks are/were so similar to how my son's were....it is strange for me to see the pictures as it brings back memories of those first few weeks of joy at having my newborn son but also anxiety regarding the birthmarks. I had never seen anything like it before and now as I see photos of other children with the same stork marks/salmon patches/angel kisses it makes me realise we are not alone. As you have seen from my photos that Missy posted for me, they will continue to fade with time. Thanks for posting them. Hello also to Skylarnz, congratulations on the birth of your son. Glad to hear our thread has provided you with some positive information x
Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM

Thanks LRL. I had never seen anything like it either. The Dr.s at the hospital said it happens in 1/3 of births. So it is common, yet it did not comfort me at all at the time. Until I found this forum and the pics. posted by mom's like you my mind is at ease. There are times that they are so light you can barely notice them, but depending on lighting, temp. and his mood they turn bright red. I picked him up from daycare last week and someones little girl yelled to her mom "what is wrong with that baby's fore head" ....her mother said he was born like that. I could not keep my mouth closed and educated them.......
Guess I was in "mama bear" mode.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 PM

Hi liemanr. Like you, in those early days I took no reassurance from being told "it was very common" when my son was born...from research I did at the time, I found that "stork marks" are indeed common but generally in a much much milder form. For example, just on the back of the baby's neck or just tiny markings on the eyelids or forehead that only a parent and/or health professional would notice. In our cases the Stork was very heavy-handed! And our babes ended up with the most prominent type. We were on holiday during his first summer and I overheard an insensitive lady say "oh look how badly sunburnt that baby is". I should have put her straight but at the time it really upset me and I couldn't bring myself to speak to her. If something similar ever happened again I would know what to do - unleash Mamabear! Again I think we just have to feel so fortunate that these birthmarks are a type that fade with time and patience with no need for painful or intrusive treatment. I'll update more photos soon. Best wishes, LRL

Last edited by LRL : 01-20-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM

My baby was born with a dark red spot on her forehead and between her eyes. My Doctor said that it's a storck bite-and will fade away. When I took my baby to dermatologist (3 weeks after birth) she said that it's hemangioma....so I'm confused now. It looks nothing like the pictures they have..nd this mark is flat so far. First few weeks I was really worried that it could be a permanent birthmark (pw) even though my doc said that it does not look like one. But still, I can't help but worry.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Hi Oksy, congratulations on the birth of your baby. I think a flat hemangioma is another term used for a portwine stain, but, from what I have read I believe it can be very difficult to tell the difference between a salmon patch and a port-wine stain initially, so perhaps the doctors you have seen so far aren't able to make a firm diagnosis yet? How old is your baby now? Have you noticed any fading in the mark at all? From what I remember, my son's mark on his forehead had faded considerably by about 3 months of age (although it is still visible at times at 22 months). Perhaps you need to get a second opinion? Could you post a picture on here - maybe it would be possible to compare to the other pictures on this thread? Best Wishes, LRL
Old 05-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Default 10 month old update

Hey everyone!!!
I have sent Missy an updated photo to post of my daughter. She is 10 months old today and doing great!! It has been an amazing and fast 10 months!! This thread has meant the world to me! I was distraught when our daughter was born with the birthmarks on her face. It was something I never expected or planned for in a million years. That is why it is so shocking and scary. Along with this and her having colic, I was very depressed. This is the only place I could see pics and hear similar stories. Her marks have significantly faded with the most prominent on her forehead, between her eyes. When she was first born the one on her lip was purple and now barely exists. I am also amazed how many people share their stories when out in public. Other mothers tell me about their babies that are adults now and even show me pictures. This has been traumatic for me, but I have to remember that this is just a snapshot of time in the story of our lives. Would love updates on everyone!! Hope you all are well. Thanks for the support!! Brooke
Old 05-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Here ya go!

Happy 10 months!! They grow up so fast!

Missy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (74.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-10-2011, 09:48 PM

Wow Brooke your daughter is soooo gorgeous! You must be a very proud Mummy. The difference in her birthmarks is amazing. It is so reassuring to read your story and realise the way I felt, like you, was normal! It's hard now not to look back and feel guilty about how I felt...why was I so upset when I had given birth to a wonderful, healthy son? But at the time it is such a shock and with all those hormones running around too I guess it's an even more emotional time! My little boy just turned 2 last weekend...where does the time go?! I will try to post some new pics in the next few weeks. Thanks so much for updating, it's fantastic to see such great progress. LRL x
Old 05-16-2011, 07:42 PM

I want to start by telling everyone that I LOVE seeing all of the pictures of your adorable babies!!! I also want to thank you for sharing your stories. I am new here and still working my way through all of this. Reading the thread I do have a question that Iím hoping you can help me with. My son has a light angel kiss between his eyes, a stork bite, a strawberry birthmark on his belly, and a bump on his lip that his pediatrician thinks is a hemangioma (we are going to see a pediatric dermatologist at Childrenís Memorial Thursday). I am wondering if all of these, mainly the salmon patches, are considered hemangiomas. I know that the strawberry birthmark is, but I guess Iím confused about the salmon patches. I think my real worry comes from reading that multiple hemagiomas, more than 3, can indicate internal ones. Regardless, is this something I should discuss with the pediatric dermatologist?? Is it necessary that my son gets checked for internal hemangiomas??

Thank you for all of your knowledge!!!