born without hair on one side of my head - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 04-20-2009, 04:39 PM

Thumbs up born without hair on one side of my head

Hello everyone
I am a 25 year old guy born with a rather conspicuous birthmark behind my right ear, a "bald patch" if you will. i honestly don't know if this falls under this category but this was the closest that i got to. I've had 3 surgeries to remove the thing when i was 14 and 15 years old and they managed to reduce its size by 45% i would say. it is still there and i grow my hair longer on one side to cover it up. i know it is a truely trivial thing compared to other birthmarks but here is my story.

I have never spoken about this to anyone before.
I am where i am today because of this birthmark. i didn't know how to deal with it when i was a kid. i consider myself a failure today because i couldn't make it through when it came to the only thing in life that i wanted to do. to play soccer. it is the only thing i know i am good at. but its over now. i missed the chance to do it for a living. at that pivotal time and due to my shattered and vulnerable personality i couldn't take it; being different. people asking, people making fun, and people staring. i wish i could go back now.

many thanks for listening/reading
Old 04-20-2009, 04:57 PM

Hello
As an adult, I think we all can think of something (if not many things) that we felt badly about...people teased us, we held back from doing things because of the teasing. Ignorance is the problem...not our differences. If I only knew as I child what I do since having my son Nicholas.... when people were rude in public to me/him... I really tried to focus on the fact that the rude person has the problem...not my son. I really feel this was the attitude I wanted my son to have too.
You are not a failure... you've come thru a difficult part of your life and you've learned a lot about life ... you have the power to change today and the future. Go for your dreams! Maybe you've lacked someone in your life that said this to you...but I will. We can't go back, but you have so much to offer to youth... teach them about not letting anything/anyone stop them from their dreams... coach, join an adult league... enjoy what makes you happy even if it isn't professionally... not many make it professionally...yet they are GOOD...and they have gifts to offer others and at the same time enjoy their favorite things. No more regret... make the new dream come true

I am glad you shared your story. We have a lot of parents here that can really learn a lesson on teaching their children to overcome obsticles.

HUGS
Corinne

Last edited by nickbar : 04-20-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 PM

hi nickbar
many thanks for the kind words
by the way do u happen to know the scientific name of this birthmark?

thanks again
Old 04-22-2009, 04:44 PM

If you can email me a picture, I can contact Dr. Mihm for his opinion. If you can't send a picture, can you describe the birthmark in detail... color, size, depth, raised, etc.