I love Propranolol - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 PM

Default I love Propranolol

My daughter, Addi, has a parotid hemangioma and has been on oral steroids and had a steroid injection. After we stopped the steroids, the heman rebounded and was still large. We decided to continue to observe and let it shrink on its own before we have it surgically removed. Our pediatrician said he read about use of beta blockers for hemans. We contacted Dr. Buckmiller at Arkansas Chikdren's (where our daughter us treated). She had us work with Addi's local Cardiologist to make sure her heart was strong enough. Once she received word that her heart was in great condition, we began using propranolol. That was in Mid- March. Addi's heman has shrunk by half. She was dizzy the first day of medication, but by the end of the day, she was back to normal. We administer her medication at 6:30am , 2:30pm and 10:30pm, everyday. We are so happy with the results and want everyone to know our positive experience. Also, If your doctor is recommending oral steriods, I would think long and hard before beginning them. Hands down, propranolol has been the most effective for our daughter and has had the least amount of side effects. Of course, every child is different. Also, our daughter is already in the involution stage, even though with her compound hemangioma, there was not shrinkage until Propranolol. I am attaching before and after pictures.

Love to you all!

Jennifer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg addipic.jpg (74.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg addi swing.jpg (71.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg addi swing 2.jpg (69.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 04-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Addi's so beautiful! Glad you have had success!

Take care and keep coming back to update everyone.

Missy
Old 01-27-2010, 06:16 AM

My daughter Sydney has a Strawberry under her left eye, and we will be starting to use Propranolol within the next week. I have heard nothing but good things about it...so thank you for sharing
Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 PM

Wow! That is amazing! She is such a cutie!!