New here - 6 month old with superficial H on face - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Talking My Experience

Hi everyone this is my first post here and I thought maybe I could help a lot of parents by sharing my experience. I was born with a Strawberry Hemangioma just under my left eye, my parents were given no information or help with this. I was never offered medication, surgery, laser treatment (dont even think that was around 26years ago) and basically left it to do its thing.
I was at its largest when I was about one (I have attached a pic of me as a new born and a 1 year old)
It gradually got smaller as the years went past, it was never painful and thankfully I can count on one hand how many times kids ever teased me about it. Nobody ever seemed too bothered by it so I can honestly say it did not affect my happiness. At age 17 all I was left with was excess skin under my eye which I choose to have removed. It was a 2part operation as it was so close to my eye they didnt want to take away too much skin 1st time round but I was happy with the initial results and never had the second surgery.
I am now just about to turn 26 and barely notice it anymore, I have NEVER tried to cover it with make-up and quite happily go out with no make-up on. (see pics)
Unfortunately I cant seem to find a good picture showing my birthmark before surgery but thats probably because I was a moody teen and didnt like posing for pictures.
I just want to share my experience to let parents know that you can sometimes leave birthmarks alone and they will not affect your childs quality of life. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Lorna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me new born.jpg (68.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Me age 1 .jpg (89.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Me after surgery age 17.jpg (71.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Me age 25.jpg (27.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Lorna,

Thank you so much for posting that! It will help many parents as they struggle with making decisions for their kids.

We appreciate the input and the pics!

Missy