Laser or not? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 02-20-2010, 03:50 PM

Default Laser or not?

Hello Everybody,
My daughter has an h, that has come up on her forehead, about 1" above her brow. We noticed it at 3 weeks and now at six weeks it has grown to about the size of a pencil eraser and is slightly raised. We have been to 2 doctors and they say to observe it. We are torn on what to do. We keep reading about laser treatment but the doctors discourage us from this. Why? It seems to us if you can stop it before it gets too big than why not do it. We are new to this and looking for suggestions.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

If the H is small, then observation is appropriate. You can't assume that it is going to get large, you can't predict how large, etc. Their point of view is that intervention may be unnecessary and they don't want to intervene unless it's needed.

Many, many hemangiomas don't need treatment at all. If or when it does start to grow alarmingly large and fast, then you can discuss other options, I think.

Missy
Old 02-20-2010, 11:06 PM

I'm in the same predicament. My daughter's hemangioma is on her scalp. She is 2 months old. It is growing rather quickly and is raised form her scalp. It is about the size of a peanut mnm. We have a consult with Dr. Waner in NYC on Mar. 2nd. I will see what he advises us. I feel if you can treat it early to prevent future growth, why not?

Angela
Old 02-21-2010, 03:10 AM

Let us know what Dr. Waner says. It puts parents into a tough decision, the doctors say no to laser and alot of the other parents say yes. We are so confused. We live in East Tennesee and have found a pediatric dermatologist in Knoxville and we plan to see her soon. Good luck with your baby.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Thank you. I too had an appointment witha pediatric dermatologist scheduled for Mar. 9th, but decided to see Dr. Waner first. He comes very highly recommended and if anything needs to be done, he's the one I want to put in my daughter's hands. I will keep you posted. Good luck to you as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:17 PM

Wouldn't Dr. Hochman be closer or Dr. Freeman? They are both in the Carolinas.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 PM

I too have an appt march 2 nd with Dr Waner. Let me know ladies how your appts go.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM

Where is your child's hemangioma?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:40 PM

What size was your babies h's at ~6 weeks. I wish there was a way to predict how big they are going to get.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 AM

It really depends on the philosophy of the doctor. Most hemangiomas do not require intervention. They fade nicely, others do not. SOme grow rapidly and large and some do not. I do encourage you to keep a photos record of the changes. Laser is often misunderstood among the medical community for those that have not kept up on the impressive advances. Early intevention with the laser may just knock this off course and avoid potential issues with rapid growth. Go with your instincts. That is about it... no wrong answer...

hugs to you and your baby