Triplets with Hemangioma's - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Twins With Birthmarks

Old 09-07-2009, 12:25 AM

Default Triplets with Hemangioma's

I am mum to 4 month old triplets born 3 months early. Who all have hemangioma's, in different positions.

My eldest daughter has one on her chest, her identical sister has one the nape of her neck & their brother has one on hid backside.

My daughter that has her's on the neck is the worse. When they were about 9 weeks old it started to grown extreamly rapidly reaching a maximum size of 5cm x 4 cm's (about 2 inch by 1.5 inch) & sitting about a half inch off the back of her neck.
She is now on medication (propanaole) to decrease the size of it & we are looking into having it removed. She's also booked into have a scan done on it later this month.
Once we have Aleah's sorted will tackle Tahlia & James'.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!!

Where are you? Since you're a "mum" I would guess australia or britain?

Keep us up to date on your triple decker!

Missy
Old 09-07-2009, 04:47 AM

We're in Australia.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Best of luck and keep us posted. We want to hear about Aleah's progress and find out about Tahlia and James too.

Triplets, 3 months early. They must have been very small. I had a friend years ago who had twins 3 months early and those girls were both around 2 pounds in weight. How long were they in neonatal care?

Missy
Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks, ive been fighting Dr.'s for months & finally getting somewhere.

Kids weighted 2.2, 2.8 & 3 pound at birth. They were very small. Spent 7 weeks in NICU.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:30 PM

I am very sorry to hear about your little girlS and boys haemangioma but it sounds like that your consultants have acted very quickly in treating her with propranalol so your are very lucky as my daughter was turned away from our local hospital at 4 weeks and i then contacted a very well known hospital called Great Ormond Street hospital in london who admitted Alayna for 10 days and carried out various tests.

Alayna had a full internal examination such as scans heart kidney liver throat mouth inside the ear absoultely everything checked to eliminate the fact that the haemangioma could be growing inside. Thankfully the results came back clear.

The side effect to the haemangioma can be ulcerations and poor Alayna's lips ulcerated very badly at 4 weeks old so it left me unable to feed her. At present i still feed her through a tube in her nose. Her lips have improved but there is still scar tissue there and i dont want to apply to much pressure on them as they get very sore and red.

Alayna was started on Propranalol at age of 5 weeks and the results have been amazing. It is one of the best medicines that can be used to reduce haemangiomas faster than the old ways which was steriods which can also have far more side effects. Alayna was started on 1.5ml of propranalol however i took her to the hospital yesturday and the Dr feels that its not longer working as she is 5 months now and has outgrown it so they will be looking to increase the dose by 3ml's. Alayna's haemangioma has also turned a little redder than usual and she still cant open her right eye as fully as she does the left but once the propranalol is doubled i think she will be fine again.

Alayna's haemangioma grew very rapidly it was a red mark down the right side of her face covering her scalp eye nose mouth and specks of it were also on her neck and on her gums it could have got alot worse if i didnt act as quickly as i did and to get her help in London.

When she was born the mark was very pale pink and the doctors advised it was due to forcep delivery.

Please feel free to read our story in the local paper on line it will explain to you the nightmare i went through to get my daughter help.

http://www.rochdaleobserver.co.uk/ne...mark_baby_cure

Please try not to worry keep taking photographs of little ones everyday and keep comparing it give it at least a week or two Propranalol is the best course of medicine to start off just be very watchful of any ulcerations and immediately contact the doctor if you noticed it i dont want to frighten you but just warn you as i continued to feed Alayna and it made her lips worse that she may need plastic surgery in the future on her lips if the lip line doesnt re appear howver its early days for Alayna yet.

Also try and ensure babies nails are filed and kept blunt any scartch on the haemangioma could also cause ulcerations on the skin if it bleeds so a lot of care is needed.

i hope this information has been useful to you
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 AM

To document the unique occurrence of multiple cutaneous capillary hemangiomas in healthy triplets.
METHODS: Case reports.
RESULTS: Triplets born 6 weeks prematurely were noted at birth to have classic cutaneous capillary hemangiomas that enlarged in the first few months of life. At 3 months of age, triplet #1 manifested a small capillary hemangioma on the left index finger and a large hemangioma that involved the entire left upper eyelid and completely occluded the visual axis. Triplet #2 had a small hemangioma on the thumb and a large hemangioma on the scalp of the forehead. Triplet #3 displayed only a minor hemangioma of the right upper eyelid that did not threaten her vision. The parents of the triplets admitted having a history of periocular capillary hemangioma that spontaneously resolved. Triplet #1 was managed with oral corticosteroids, with dramatic regression of the mass and exposure of the visual axis.
CONCLUSIONS: Cutaneous capillary hemangioma is usually a sporadic condition. We found this tumor in premature triplets whose parents had a history of a similar tumor. This suggests that hereditary and environmental factors may play a role in the development of this tumor. We advise that medical and family histories be obtained in all children with cutaneous capillary hemangioma.