PWS treatment in Asia? - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 10-03-2009, 06:12 AM

Thank you - I will pass this along to my insurance provider. They are reviewing our case and will then present us with options - hopefully including Dr Chan and Dr Nelson. I am so glad your daughter's PWS is responding to the laser treatments and that you replied to my question!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:59 PM

Hi there,

My son has been seeing Dr. Chan since he was less than a year old. He's now 2.4 yrs old and has had about 9 treatments. The results were great but now the eczema problem makes me a bit worried. We stopped the tx 3 months ago due to an infection after the laser was done. I'm so helpless to see my little boy with itchy eczema!!

Let me know if you need help.

p.s. Dr. Nelson referred us to Dr. Chan too
Old 03-18-2010, 02:22 PM

Default I'm having PWS treatment in Singapore

Hi there,
I am Jason and i'm having PWS treatment at Changi General Hospital Singapore. It's close to the airport and cost isnt too high, around SGD900. However, the dermatologist, Dr Tay Yong Kuang, is using the old Vbeam595 and not the Vbeam Perfecta. But it's up to you. Good luck on your kid's treatment
Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2luvs View Post
Hi there,

My son has been seeing Dr. Chan since he was less than a year old. He's now 2.4 yrs old and has had about 9 treatments. The results were great but now the eczema problem makes me a bit worried. We stopped the tx 3 months ago due to an infection after the laser was done. I'm so helpless to see my little boy with itchy eczema!!

Let me know if you need help.

p.s. Dr. Nelson referred us to Dr. Chan too
Hi there!

May i know whether you are able to claim from insurance in singapore while you send your boy to do the treatment in HK?

May i know how painful the whole process is for your child?

And how extensive your son's pws is?

I do not have much finance to always bring my gal to HK for treatment. would you have any singapore doc for recommendation?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM

Hi Jason

How can I get in touch with you? I would like to find out more abt your treatment.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfresh View Post
Hi there!

May i know whether you are able to claim from insurance in singapore while you send your boy to do the treatment in HK?

May i know how painful the whole process is for your child?

And how extensive your son's pws is?

I do not have much finance to always bring my gal to HK for treatment. would you have any singapore doc for recommendation?

Hi Sunfresh,

Sorry for the late reply.

I fought with my insurance company twice until they finally agreed to cover all the treatments. Btw, we're living in Hong Kong

The whole process of the treatment was really fast. The hardest part was no food intake for the 6 hrs before the treatment, only very little water is allowed.

My little boy's PWS is on right eyebrow (can't be lasered), one line on the forehead (gone), little bit on the eyelid (gone), down to the cheek (light pink), and little bit on the temple (light pink).

Sorry, I don't know any doctors in Singapore. You might want to send an email to Dr. Nelson for recommendations Good luck!

HTH
Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 AM

Hi Charlotte's Dad

May I know what type of laser is Dr Henry Chan using?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Hi. Dr Henry Chan uses the VBeam Perfecta laser on Charlotte.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Hi Charlotte's Dad,
We too are Australians living in Asia with 5 month boy who has PWS on face and neck. Have had 2 treatments back in Australia under local when he was 2 weeks and 2 months old respectively and in August will have third treatment (Randwick Children's Hospital) under GA. Costs and time associated with the travel plus public hospital procedures and waiting lists in Sydney are making it all a bit prohibitive going forward. So pleased to see you are happy with Dr Henry Chan in Hong Kong. Are you totally satisfied with the treatment your daughter is getting in Hong Kong and has she ever been treated in Australia, if so, how does it compare?
With thanks for any more information or tips that you might kindly impart,
emma
Old 06-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Hi Emma,
We are very happy with the treatment Charlotte has received to date from Dr Chan. Not long after Charlotte was born, we spoke with doctors in Australia and the US and the consensus seemed to be that our daughter would be in very experienced hands if she received treatment from Dr Chan.
Before speaking with various doctors, we seriously considered having treatment in Sydney but, from memory, we were told that Charlotte would need to be at least 9 months old to commence treatment as she would need to be treated under GA (her birthmark is close to her eye). Given Dr Chan's wonderful reputation and the fact that a few doctors told us that it was best to start treatment as early as possible, we decided to start treatment with Dr Chan when Charlotte was about 4 months old (under GA). Also, as we lived in Hong Kong at the time, it meant Charlotte could receive treatments every 8 to 10 weeks which would have been logistically more difficult if we had decided to travel to Australia for treatment (at that time we had three children under two years of age!).
Charlotte is now four years old and we continue to fly to Hong Kong from Singapore to see Dr Chan. Charlotte's birthmark is now a pale pink and Dr Chan is hopeful that he will achieve further fading with future treatments.
I hope this helps.
Charlotte's mum

Last edited by Charlotte's Dad : 06-29-2011 at 02:34 PM.