Originally Posted by ongsyen
I saw your reply on my thread "Anyone know DR Marcelo Hochman" and thank you.What make you decide to let your son go for surgery at 2 yo and not earlier?
My baby will go surgery on her 8 months old, I am start feeling stress and scare and worry.....not easy
Hv u seen small baby at age 8 months went surgery on nose?
I have absolutely seen babies that young go in for surgery. It's all very much a personal choice. My son had a superficial portion also which we chose to have a series of pulse dye lasers done for. He was also on oral steroids for about seven months in his first year. Once we had exhausted the possibilities locally and still felt we needed more options we then decided to go out of state for treatment. My son had an MRI at 6 months and again at 18 months...we knew for a fact that his h was involuting but leaving behind fatty tissue as nasal tip hemangiomas tend to do. We had the option to either leave him with a bulbous nose or have the deep portion removed. We ended up have treatment with Dr. Waner. Some doctors prefer surgery sooner than others. The only down side to early surgery is that if it's done very early when the h is still growing they have to make certain to remove it all or risk regrowth. We could have had surgery done sooner but decided to give him (and ourselves) a break from doctors appointments and also let him get thru Christmas and his birthday which is in January....then we went for it. I feel the only down side to having surgery later is that the child is then walking and risks falling,,,which my son did do. He fell a few days after surgery and broke open some sutures but all & all no harm was done. To this day he does not remember going to NYC for surgery.
I very well remember how stressful it was to make the decisions I made for my son...and the millions of questions that go racing thru your mind. If there is anything I can do to help...answer questions, give you more info on our experience please contact me. Best of luck to you.