New, please read. - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-01-2010, 03:13 PM

Default New, please read.

Hi,

My baby girl will be 8 weeks on Friday. Right before turning 4 weeks I noticed a tiny cluster of 3 red flat dots on her head. Her ped said it was a hemangioma and that it will probably get bigger before disappearing in the years to come. Little did I know what this meant. In the nearly 4 weeks it has grown to the size of a pencil eraser and raised. It terrifies me to think how big this can get. Luckily its in her hair(which she barely has any right now) but I am hoping that more will grow soon. I am very concerned and worried about the growth of this. I know its impossible to tell how big it can get but can anyone shed some light on this? She has an appointment with a ped dermatologist next week. My heart goes out to each and everyone of of you that are dealing with this.

Thank you.

I tried to attach a pic but I am not able to.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:02 PM

my daughter had two small spots on her forhead in the hairline... it grew to be about the size of a dime and was bright red and puffy, but is now starting to involute... i believe it stopped growing around 3 months.

in my non-expert opinion, your baby's H sounds much like mine, and while it looked rather alarming, it wasn't a big deal, we had no problems with ulcerating or anything like that. my guess is that your baby will have the same outcome.

i'm going to post some pics, hopefully they will make you feel better. please know that most of the pics you see on the internet are worst case - the vast majority of H's are not an issue at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 weeks2.jpg (87.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6 months2.JPG (72.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1 year.jpg (46.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-03-2010, 04:48 PM

Being that its on her scalp, will hair still grow on or around the h?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 PM

My son is 7 months and has one on his head. It doesn't seem to be growing anymore. There is hair around it and coming through it. He was born with no hair and now has just very fine blonde pieces coming in - if he had a head of hair you wouldn't even notice the h. Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:37 PM

My daughter has some fine hairs growing in the H right now... i'm not worried that there will be a bald spot or anything, she will have plenty of hair to cover it.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Ladies, when your babies h's first started growing especially those on the head did it protrude out? Meaning was it like a bump with red on top? When I look at my baby I can see a bump the size of a pea coming up with a red top. I am so worried it seems this thing is growing in front of my eyes.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Yes, Thats exactly what my son's H looks like. It was worse when he had no hair but now with a few hairs coming in the bump doesn't look as high. Do you have a picture?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 PM

Sara-it won't let me load a pic. How big was your sons when you first noticed and how big is it now? When did it stop growing? Thank you.