Propranolol and 3 week old infant - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 PM

Default Propranolol and 3 week old infant

My son is three weeks old and has a hemangioma which covers his entire right arm. The derm. wants to start him on propranolol. Has anyone started their child on this treatment when they were so young? If so, how did the treatment go? I plan to start my child on propranolol, but I am worried he is too young. Any input would be helpful.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 PM

i can understand your concern, i would be worried about giving drugs to my baby too... have you talked to your dr about using the topical propranolol? a H that size can become a problem, i can understand your dr wanting to start treatment right away. i tend to be part of the wait and see camp, but with a H that big, i would really consider treatment.

congrats on your new baby! is this your first?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 PM

I have not talked to the doctor about topical propranolol. She did not mention it as an option. Is it safer? I will definitely ask her when I return to see her next week.

No, this is my second child. I am terrified about placing him on medication so soon. But like you stated, a H this big could cause a problem. I want to do what is best for him, but I am not sure if being proactive or waiting would be the best treatment.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:32 AM

we started my daughter around 4 weeks. she takes propranolol and uses timolol, which is topical. she has done just fine on both and we have seen big improvements already. she has large segmental hemangiomas on the side of her head and on her throat, so the chance of complications was pretty big if we didn't do something. she also has 2 that were starting on her lips and another below her left ear. i know it is scary, but from what i have read, most do just fine. good luck to you and let us know how things go!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skluns View Post
My son is three weeks old and has a hemangioma which covers his entire right arm. The derm. wants to start him on propranolol. Has anyone started their child on this treatment when they were so young? If so, how did the treatment go? I plan to start my child on propranolol, but I am worried he is too young. Any input would be helpful.
Congratulations on the new baby boy! With this large of a hemangioma I would tend to be proactive and start treatment to try to prevent growth. I think it's wonderful that you have options and know what your dealing with while your son is still so young. Many parents don't even hear the word hemangioma for months into their childs life. My son had a nasal tip h and did take oral steroids, but not this young. They did work very well getting my son thru the growth period. Having a child on steroids is not fun but sometimes it's the lesser of two evils. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 PM

Thank you all for your input. I feel much better about starting him on propranolol so young. I am glad to hear that each of your children have responded so well to treatment. I will keep everyone posted on how treatment goes for us. Thank you all for putting my mind at ease!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:36 AM

I too think you are doing the right thing in being proactive. I started my son on propranolol at 3months and I don't regret having made the decision as his H would have gotton considerably bigger. I too was afraid of putting him on medication, but was rest assurred when he displayed no negative side effects. Trust your mommy instincts.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:52 AM

I wanted to give an update on my son. We decided to begin propanolol treatment when my son was three weeks old. So far, the H seems to have stopped growing. There are some areas which are starting to gray. He seems to sleep a lot, but I am not sure if that is the medicine or him being five weeks old now. We are thrilled with the results so far!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 PM

I'm not a doctor but I would say the sleeping bit is because of his age. I too initially thought my son was sleeping a lot but as he got older believe me he slept a lot less.