surgery today....pictures - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-03-2010, 01:23 AM

Default surgery today....pictures

Hi there. Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes. Faith did AMAZING with the surgery today. She walked into the OR and chose a Rootbeer flavored mask to go to sleep. I was able to stay with her until she was asleep, which was a little scary for me, but the doctors explained everything so I knew what to expect.
There was only one thing that threw me for a loop. Right before she went in for the surgery, the doctor came to see her and looked at her lip....he was like "Wow! It's looks soooo good." I thought he was going to send us home right then and there. I have been hemming and hawing and tossing and turning for months about whether or not we were making the right decision to have this done, and we really were relying on his expertise and advice to have it all smoothed out, etc. And then to see him, standing there, seeming unsure himself, with the whole team of doctors around waiting....it was very stressful to me. (especially after I did not sleep for even 15 minutes last night!) But the doc said that it would have to be fixed eventually and that by doing it now, it might avoid work later...so he decided to go through with it. Afterwards he said that once he got in there it was clear that there was a lot of scar tissue that needed to be removed and it was actually a pretty simple procedure.

So anyway, as the afternoon has gone on her lip has gotten more and more swollen and purple. She turned cranky and kinda miserable, mostly because she was starving!!! This is the kid who likes to eat all day! I might actually post something else to get advice from people with lip surgeries cause I do have some questions about the healing process.

So time will tell if we made the right decision. I really hope so, because we were just trying to help her for the future. She is a strong little girl and she did so well. It was a long, hard day and she's exhausted. Hopefully the codeine will help her to get a good night's sleep.

Here's some pictures before the swelling and bruising started this afternoon.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=49742d8a18

Let me know if you can't see the pics. That's the scoop. Thanks so much for your neverending support!

Shannon
Old 06-03-2010, 01:24 AM

I will try to take some new pictures tomorrow so you can see how swollen and bruised it is. There are lots of stitches going underneath her whole lip that you can't see in those pictures.

shannon
Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 AM

So great to hear that surgery went well. Will continue to think of your family as you go through the healing process. Keep posting updates as it is great to see the progress.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 AM

she is pretty.So happy see her lip return to original look.
My baby op is on 12th, hope she will be same as ur daughter, everything go well.