Summer care for hemangioma - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-03-2010, 01:39 AM

Default Summer care for hemangioma

My daughter (9 months) has a large hemangioma that covers her right hand (both sides). It is just flat, no blistering, and I think it is starting to involute.

My question is that with the summer arriving, should be be extra cautious with the sun or does it matter? Should we be covering it with sunblock when we are out? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Tara
Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Hi!

Yes, put a nice spf 50 on it. I might even consider a glove (yes, I know it's Michael-Jackson-tacky!!) if she would keep it on.

But, sunscreen is a must. Shade is good too.

Missy
Old 06-03-2010, 07:24 PM

I recommend zinc...u can buy it in a little tub. I use sunscreen on my children but have always found that zinc works best on their faces...especially on my sons nose which is where he had an h and now has a small scar. I don't know if your daughters hand has any scarring but if so it's especially important to keep sunscreen on it not matter the time of year.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Administrator

I would worry about her putting her little hands in her mouth and eating the zinc. Once my older son ate a tube of zinc oxide and got very sick. We had to call poison control

But, really, that's probably true with every commercial sunscreen... don't let her eat it off.

Missy
Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 PM

The recommended baby friendly sunscreens have zinc oxide in them. Think life guard with white paste on his/her nose . Does this sound familiar?

Sunscreens often have other ingredients to help them last longer, but the active ingredient is often the same.

Best of luck!

Kirsten
Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 AM

So then, if we are planning to be outside more than 5 minutes we will put some sunscreen on her little hand. Thanks.

BTW, no scarring or damage to the skin as of yet... hopefully we can keep it that way
Old 06-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Wonderful news. I hope there won't be any scarring or damage at all! Now, get out to the pool! If it's anything like here, it's too hot to be outside anyway.

Missy
Old 06-12-2010, 01:51 AM

My 16 month old daughter also has a hemangioma on her hand and wrist...I'm glad I read your post because it reminded me to make sure to put sunscreen on it often. My older daughter has one on her lip and her doc always told us it was important to put sunscreen on it. As far as the hand hemangioma goes...my daughter's also started to involute pretty early too and she had no complications and no treatment. It would be interesting to share pictures with you because I haven't come across too many hand hemangiomas. Email me at hohen13@comcast.net if you want to see some.

Shannon
Old 06-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Shannon,

There was a post here the other day that wanted to see before and afters of wait and see birthmarks. If you have before and afters of her hand, I wish you'd share those. If you have trouble posting them, send them to contact@birethmark.org and I'll set them up for you!

Thanks,

Missy
Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Default Pics

Thanks, Shannon! She sure is gorgeous!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070079-a.jpg (13.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1070883-a.jpg (20.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1080446-a.jpg (14.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1100634-a.jpg (13.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1110005-a.jpg (15.6 KB, 0 views)