Propranolol side effects? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 PM

Default Propranolol side effects?

I have a 2 month old baby girl with an H on the side of her nose. It's a little smaller than a dime right now but is growing. Right now, it's not blocking her nostril at all and the concern is just cosmetic/preventative. Because of the location, it could become problematic if it grows quickly. The dermatologist is recommending propranolol but I am concerned about the side effects, especially since at this point since it's not causing a problem. Her pediatrician supports this recommendation. From most of the messages I've read here, it seems like people are very happy with the results of using propranolol. Has anyone had any negative side effects such as low blood pressure, etc. that they found worrisome? I'm just concerned about putting a healthy baby on blood pressure medication. I'd really appreciate input (positive and negative) from people who have tried this medication. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

Other parents will chime in soon. I know there are some risks and side effects, but you have to weigh those against the risks and side effects of no treatment or other treatments.

Missy
Old 06-15-2010, 11:20 PM

Thanks Missy!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 AM

Hi RsMom;
My son too had a h at the side of his nostril that was beginning too push on his nostril as it grew. Their was also the concern that if it grew that it may affect his eye sight by obstructing his view and potentially weakening his one eye. So we decided with Dr. Waners guidance to put our son on propranolol at 2 months. Dr. Waner said that it is recommended by the American dermatological association that H's on the nose are recommended be treated.

We have not seen any negative side effects which has been a relief. We literally saw the size of the H decrease within 24hours.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:51 AM

MPerron - Thanks so much! When we went to the dermatologist, I really wasn't expecting that they'd recommend treating it because at this time, it's not affecting her nostril or eye. However, now I can see that it will probably grow quite a bit given the rate it's moving and it's in a really prominant spot. After reading the posts on here, I am pretty sure we are going to go ahead with propanolol. Do you have any before and after pictures since starting propranolol? I'll try to upload a picture soon.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:43 PM

RsMom. You can see the before and after pics on page 3 in the forum threads under the category 'propronalol success thus far'. His hemangioma has even improved more since the after pic was taken. Now you can only see it when he cries. It can be scary how fast they can grow, and Dr. Waner advised me that if we didn't treat it my son's h would likely grow 'significantly' given how fast it was growing at the time. I always say on this forum for parents to trust their instincts. We love our children and we try make the best decisions possible in their best interests. I find the more informed and educated I am about treatment options the more comfortable I am with my decision to start my son on propranolol. Wishing you and your family all the best!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:40 PM

I have had nothing but +++ results from using the propanolol. At first there was not much of a difference, well, let me take that back, actually at first we noticed a difference in color (not so blue, my daughter has the deep kind) but then I started getting down and frustrated because I didn't think it was working and then it seemed like in a month it went down dramatically. We could not believe it. We just recently tried to start weaning her off but it went back up so now she is on 2 doses and not 3 anymore she seems to be doing well on 3 but when I take her to 1 dose is when it gets larger. Good luck! You may read my blog in my siggie and contact me if you'd like.
Takes 3 doses per day at 1.3ml
2nd Weaning of prop. not a success back on it March 22. Only one dose of 1.3ml now- 19 months old Did Timolol gel for awhile, stopped, & back on - 4 years old. Off of Timolol -doesn't seem to be doing anything. Surgery was a success!!! April 2014
http://lexihemangiomapropanolol.blog...roduction.html
Old 06-21-2010, 02:02 PM

I second the positive results from propranolol. We started our daughter on it when she was 10.5 months old, and she's been on it for a month. It was purely for cosmetic reasons as the two she has are on the sides of her head. We thought about putting her on it when she was younger but since it was for cosmetic reasons we decided to wait. Our daughter also has a heart condition so even though the doctors said the propranolol would be okay we were leary of trying it at such a young age. Had I found this forum back in December 09 when we first considered the propranolol we probably would have started it then and DD's hemangiomas wouldn't have gotten so big.

Anyway, because DD's hemangiomas were just starting to involute on their own and were done growing we didn't see quite as immediate, dramatic results as others report. However, after about 3 weeks, we've noticed a huge difference. I'd say they are 50% smaller. I noticed when I was nursing her that I couldn't feel it when I held her, and before the propranolol I always had to be careful that my hands were pushing on them when I was holding her to nurse.

We've had no side effects save the fact that sometimes her feet seem a little cold. I'm not sure if that's too much air conditioning though or if it the propranolol. We've been very happy with it.

Last edited by jkmorgan333 : 06-21-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 PM

MPerron- is your son only taking propranolol or he is receiving laser too?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:27 PM

msaurez- My son is only taking propranolol. It quickly cleared up the red discloration and their is only some slight bluish color. He has a compound H.