propanolol and insurance - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 07-06-2010, 11:08 PM

Default propanolol and insurance

Hello! We are new to this site but our first daughter had an H and we did the steroid route then had it removed. Now one of our twins has an H and we are looking to start propranolol, she is almost 3 months old. I heard insurance does not cover it. How much will it cost us? Any information is welcomed!

Thank you!!

Brie

Last edited by bce : 07-06-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 AM

Hi I too am new to this site, my daughter is 21 months with a H on her cheek, so far we were told by docs to do the wait and see thing, it has started to break up and has changed colour but is still very much [present on her face, this is the first time i've heard of this propranolol, i would be very grateful for any info on it

thanks
Willow
Old 07-07-2010, 12:35 PM

Have you guys directly talked with your insurance company? Could you get your doctors to write a letter stating that due to the location it is causing psychological issues? For me it DID cause me not to bond with my 2nd daughter's H because every time that I would nurse her I would find myself staring at her forehead. People also give rude comments and gestures.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:56 PM

BCE: We got a 3 month (500mg bottle) supply of propranolol for under $50.00. I'm from Canada but bought the propranolol in the united states. Willow you will definately find lots of discussion on propranolol in this forum. Google it and you will find even more information. Too much information for me to sum up. What I can tell you is that it is an old drug used for hypertension in adults/children but recently (a few years ago) it was found to significantly reduce hemangiomas in infants. My understanding is that it has fewer side effects than steroid treatment for hemangiomas.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:42 PM

Hi!

MPerron- It sounds like the actual medicine isn't expensive, what about the drs. and hospital stay? Was that all out of pocket?

Laurenbetcher- talking with the insurance company is next on my list, I wanted to get all my ducks in a row first

Did anyone do both the medicine and laser treatments?

Thanks for all your comments!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:40 PM

Thanks alot Guys, Ive gooled it and read up on it and to be honest i'd pay whatever for it......I'll try anything to just see it going at this stage...I wonder if its used here in Ireland, will try find out. The fact that shes a little girl and its on her face really gets me down, and she is starting to mix with other kids, and its natural they will point it out, but breaks my heart. any doc I've spoke to just keeps sayin it will go by 4 0r 5yrs old....but im not sure that i can sit around and wait for something that may or may not happen........id like to start doing something now for her....
Old 07-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Our insurance covers it. (Blue cross Blue Shield) I never had to make any phone calls or pleas for them to do so. Our co-pay is about $10 a month for it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:27 PM

Bce: Yes the medication is fairly cheap. My son was not hospitalized by his doctor (Dr. Waner in NYC). His fee's for consultation is about $250.00, but he was very generous and waved his fee for us. The cardiologist my son saw also had a $250.00 fee, plus the cost of the electrocardiogram test which was about $600.00. Like I've mentioned I'm from Canada and my son recieved treatment in the united states so we had to pay out of pocket.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 AM

Hi there! We have no experience with propanolol, but I wanted to let you know that my 5 year old has a lip hemangioma. We treated with steroids and then she had surgery last month. Then I had twins (they are 17 months old now) and one of them has a big hemangioma on her hand. I thought that was a pretty weird connection!!! We don't have to treat the hand though, because it's involuting nicely on its own. Her twin sister has a very small one on her arm, so that makes 3 out of my 4 children with hemangiomas!

shannon
Old 07-14-2010, 02:56 AM

I have Cigna insurance and I only pay a $5.00 copay for the liquid Propranolol. Since giving my son propranolol in late January, we have seen amazing results!!