patent foramen ovale - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 09-02-2010, 01:24 AM

Default patent foramen ovale

i'm not sure if i spelled that right or not, but does anyone else have any experience with this? my daughter is 4 1/2 months old. she has a segmental hemangioma on the side of her head, a bearded hemangioma, and then a few other small ones on her lip and behind her ears. they also found a small one on the back of her tongue, but propranolol seems to be controlling it. she had an echocardiogram a few weeks ago and they found a small hole in her heart (patent foramen ovale) that they said all babies have in the womb. the cardiologist said it generally closes by birth, but hers hasn't yet. he didn't seem too concerned about it, but it still scares me a little. he said he didn't need to see her again for 3 years. is that the norm? that seems like a long time to me, so i was just wondering what others experiences were? thanks!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 AM

I am not a parent with a child with hemangiomas and I am not familiar with the type of hole that you are talking about. My daughter also has a hole in her heart (actually she has three!). She has three atrial septal defects. She saw the cardiologist for a 6 month check after they were found and since everything was good at that appointment she doesn't need to go back for a year. He told us as long as she is doing well and x-rays or echos are good she will only need to be seen once a year. If there is a problem then we need to take her back sooner. I feel comfortable with Becca's treatment as she is seeing a world-leading cardiologist at Mayo Clinic. I think I would be really nervous with waiting three years because from what we know there could be a lot of change in that amount of time. I guess maybe it depends on the type of defect. Like I said I am not familiar with the specific defect your child has.