LUMBAR Syndrome - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Default LUMBAR Syndrome

I previously wrote of my little boy having a segmental Hemangioma on his left leg. Our little boy is now 6m old. After 2 MRI's and an ultrasound we found out a bunch!!

He has a syndrome called LUMBAR. (per dr in Minneapolis MN) He has a single kidney, an extra tube coming off the bladder, bifid scrotum, segmental hemangioma covering his leg and spots on his genitals, a hemangioma inside his rectum, a tethered spinal cord, an opening to his spinal cord (spina bifida), and a larger than normal colon.

We have found little on this syndrome. Our derm has said it is VERY uncommon. We begin with bladder surgery next month and then surgery on the spinal cord will follow.

Does anyone else have any info on this or has anyone else dealt with this??
Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 PM

I don't have any experience with this, I just wanted to offer some encouragement and tell you to hang in there! I'm sure your family has been through a lot at this point. I will keep you in my prayers! As for the syndrome, does LUMBAR syndrome only refer to his tethered spinal cord and opening, or does it include everything you listed? I tried looking it up and couldn't find much either. Everything seemed to refer to the lumbar region of the back. Keep us posted!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 PM

Thanks

It includes all the symptoms listed. Also I forgot to mention his tail bone is thinner than normal.

The acronym "LUMBAR" is used to describe the association of Lower body hemangioma and other cutaneous defects, Urogenital anomalies, Ulceration, Myelopathy, Bony deformities, Anorectal malformations, Arterial anomalies, and Renal anomalies. There are many similarities between LUMBAR and PHACE syndrome, which might be considered regional variations of the same.

We are keeping a positive outlook...the Dr said most of this is can be corrected. We remind ourselves it could be worse. Last year we lost our 3.5m old baby girl to SIDS.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Well, for pete's sake!

Have you had a chance to connect with Dr. Linda? She might know of some resources for you. You can use the Ask the Founder form at

http://birthmark.org/experts.php

Keep us updated... I mean, I know you have a lot on your plate, but we'll be glad to lend our ears (and shoulders) when needed.

Missy
Old 09-21-2010, 02:21 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. It sounds like you have had a tough road, but I'm glad you are doing your best to keep a positive outlook and it is great news that the doctors think they can correct a lot of problems for your sweet son. Please do keep us updated when you get the chance. Best of luck to you and your family.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 AM

Linda Rozell Shannon has recommended contacting Dr. Fishman's team in Boston for advice. If you need help with contacting their nurse, please let me know. They review cases weekly as a team.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the help
Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Keep us in the loop. We'll need education on this!! Will you just have to deal with each symptom on its own?

Missy
Old 09-24-2010, 08:55 PM

It appears this LUMBAR syndrome could also be similar to PELVIS syndrome. There is a few more articles on this.

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/142/7/884
Old 09-30-2010, 06:34 PM

Missy,
They are treating each symptom on its own. We will visit the Urologist next week to have a consult for his bladder and scrotum. Once this surgery is complete we will move on to the tethered cord. After this surgery, and as long as there is no significant growth, the Dermatologist will spend more time examining the growths in his rectal area.