Honest input needed - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Youth and Teen Support

Old 01-18-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Honest input needed

Hi Jen,

I am glad treatment is working for your daughter.
Yes, I name calling is very bad, I have been call barney, and two face when batman came out. I got one you probably have not heard, "the purple people eater" lol
That is kids for you.

Hank
Old 01-19-2005, 10:02 PM
tweety

;D hi
i have birthmark and when i was in school people stared but i explaned to them i was born this way and how it was cossed but ather whys things wiill be ok and i am glad to hear she is having sergary. ive bin haveing treetment sins i was 4 ;D
Old 03-01-2005, 04:51 AM
ed

Hey Becca's mom,

I'm very happy to hear that you daughter got treatment and most of her birthmark is gone. I'm 18 and I grew up with a birthmark under my nose. Honestly, yes I would have the say growing up was quite hard. I would get the stares, the laughs, the teases.. I would get angry and sad but I'm very surprised not to have gotten into any fights because of my birthmark. But I found out that after people get used to it, they would just look past it and not care. I was in the same school from grade 2 -> grade 7 for elementary, then grade 8 -> grade 12 for high school. When I was a young age, the other kids didn't really care because I bet they didn't even know what it was. I made alot of friends and we grew up together and everyone just got used to it. When high school came, the first couple of weeks were hard.. it was a large school of 2000 people, many of which I've never seen before and vice versa. Many stared at me and some laughed about it, but after a while, people got used to it again. I made many new friends and high school was some of the best times and very very enjoyable. Best of luck with your daughter and hope she can have it completely removed asap

Ed~~^^
Old 04-24-2005, 09:56 PM
violetchick

Hi Becca's Mommy!
I got teased quite a bit as a kid. My parents went from doc to doc trying to find a good treatment. They were not too keen on what was available so we waited till I was older. I totally respect their decision, given most of the old time treatments had rather deleterious side effects. To be honest, I have good self esteem. I am no more or less insecure than anyone else. There are times when I find myself over compensating in one way or another. However; I do not allow my birthmark to stop me from doing things. I have many very wonderful friends. I am outgoing. I work in a field that requires me to constantly be meeting new people and establishing a raport.
The secret is, just be there for Becca. Whatever you decide is the right thing at the moment. Anyone can be a Monday morning quaterback and retrospectively say that "we should have done, x, y, z". I am sure you are very loving and supportive. Becca will be just fine with a mom like you in her corner. When kids tease her, it's really important that she understand, that it is not her. She may look different, but that does not make her any less than anyone else.
Good luck!!!!!
M
Old 05-22-2005, 04:07 PM
beccasmommy

Thanks, Violet! She thinks she is the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world right now, so maybe we're not doing so bad...
Old 11-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Beka

Hi! My name is Beka and I have lymphaitc malformation(cystic hygroma) on my left ear and neck. I am 17 now and a Senior and, yes, I had to bear quite a bit of ridicule my other kids growing up. It was hard but then I realized that it wasn't a bad thing to have to go through all these surgeries and still have all these scars. My mother, who was very supportive of me, told me not to look at it as something different, but to look at it as God's special mark on me. While she was pregnant with me, the doctors said I wouldn't live if they went through with the pregnancy because it was so big and wrapped around my throat. So now when I look at it, it's not just a scare on my face, but a reminder that I'm a miracle, like all of us are. Your daughter is very fortunate to have a mother like you. I can't imagine going through 17 years of my life without the support of my parents.

Beka
Old 11-24-2005, 02:02 PM
beccasmommy

Thanks, Beka! I don't know what I would do without my Becca. Mark or no mark, she's all mine.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:20 AM
tweety

becca's mom im having sergery on the 5 of december. and last time i when everything when the graets it ever has.
if your doughter is ever scard e mail me at qt_pye71@hotmail.com and we can chat
Old 12-02-2005, 05:38 PM
jmonroe

Hi Becca:

I have an AVM & LM of the tongue lip and chin. I went to public schools until 3rd grade, when my mom pulled me out to give me a fresh start. The kids were pretty nasty. I returned in 8th grade. During my first week someone I had gone to school with until 3rd grade said, "Aren't you that girl with the weird tongue?"

Just give your child lots of reassurance...

Jody
Old 12-07-2005, 04:37 AM
Amys Mom

Hi,
I also wanted to give my 2 cents. I am thankful that my hemangioma was on my back. Though it was quite large and it ulcerated when I was very young and left me with a burn-like scar, I had a number of rude comments from not only other children (when I was younger) but often times even ruder comments from adults. It makes a large impact on a child. You can try to encourage them that it doesn't make a difference to you but the bottom line - would you want it on your face??? My baby was born with a hemangioma on her face and because of what I went through (and more so what my mother went through when I was an infant), I took action immediately and thankfully had a Dr. who was able to do a preventative liquid nitrogen, freezing treatment on her hemangioma, which stunted its growth and initiated the involution stage. Ultimately you need to make the decision for yourself and your child and weigh the risks and rewards.........good luck to you in your decision.