Laser treatment - Page 4 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

View Poll Results: Has anyone one had laser teatment
Yes 19 50.00%
no 3 7.89%
would never have because it is apart of me 0 0%
am thinking about it 4 10.53%
I have and it did work and it is all gone 0 0%
I am and it is working 9 23.68%
would like to but can not find a machen 2 5.26%
other 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Laser treatment

Thank you everybody that has posted or voted on this subject, It brings a good observation on it.

If anybody has any comment, or opinioin on laser treatment I am all ears.

Thanks again,

Hank
Old 03-25-2005, 04:26 AM

""
""
Old 03-31-2005, 02:33 PM
sammeruss

Hi

I have a daughter, Molly, who is five months old, we live in Toronto. She has a PWS on the whole of the right side of her face, we have an appointment with a dermatologist on May 4, and I just wanted to know if there are any specific questions that I need to ask, I have tried to research, but some is conflicting, would love to hear from other Moms in the same situation.

Thanks

Sam
Old 03-31-2005, 04:50 PM

Sam,

You want to ask what type of laser will be used (and if it has a cooling system). you need to know if general anethesia will be used or if it will be done while patient is awake with local anethesia cream. How much experience the doctor has with the laser and treating pws? You need to ask what should be done or avoided before treatment. What to expect after treatment, how to manage any pain, help control blistering, what to avoid after treatment? Ask if this treatment will be conservative because it is the first...will the intensity be increase later. How long should the dark areas last (usually 1 week-10 days). How long tell you see results, how long until the next treatment.? What problems should I be aware of...and how should I handle them?

You might want to know just for your records: what was the laser settings (depth, intensity), the number of pulses used.

GOOD LUCK

Corinne
Old 04-24-2005, 07:14 AM

Hi Sam,

Just wanted to say the newest laser out there that I know of is the V-Beam Pulse Dye Laser. This laser is very good and is safe on infants.

Hank
Old 04-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Dyan

Hi Sam (another Canadian in the group!)

I did a quick check off of the Candela (VBeam) site (I was looking for one in Edmonton a couple of days ago) and found two in T.O.:

Dr. John Keller
Toronto, Ontario

Fairview Laser Clinic Inc.
Toronto, Ontario

If you decide to go this route, you may want to call them and see if you need a referral. When I first started out (in the early 90s) you had to get a referral from a dermatologist to see the laser surgeon I ended up seeing. Granted I haven't done it in over a decade, but it may be worth checking out beforehand.

Good luck!
Dyan
Old 04-25-2005, 05:23 AM

Thanks Dyan for the doctors. I actually had a lady looking for a Derm in Toronto.

How far do you live from there? Maybe you to could meet someday if you want.

Hank
Old 04-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Dyan

Sorry Hank,

I'm on the other side of the country (about 1700 miles), but I'm happy to help when/where I can. The Canadian medical system can be much different than the American.

Take care,
Dyan
Old 04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
sammeruss

Thanks everyone for all your advise, especially the Doctor info, we have our derm appt on Monday, so at least I will get some info from that as to what we do next.
Will let you know what happens.......

Thanks again

Sam
Old 05-18-2005, 10:57 PM
bwalk

My name is Brenda and I'm 22 years old. I have a pws on my left cheek. I should add that it's completely benign, and hasn't grown or spread. Now I am faced with the decision of having it removed.

I would agree that in some cases it has made me more shy, but hasn't kept me from having great friends, relationships, or being hired for jobs. I never use any kind of cover up makeup. My friends and family tell me that they are so used to it that they never really notice it anymore.

I should add that I have lived half my life in Costa Rica, where people (especially schoolchildren) are much more accepting than the children here. Every once in a while someone will rudely ask me about it, but I don't really get angry anymore...afterall, it's their ignorance.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who had theirs removed once they were older, and how well they adjusted to being without it.