Interventional Radiologist - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Default Interventional Radiologist

Good Morning!

I recently had an embolization procedure performed on my right hand for an a.v.m. that will require maintenance.
The procedure was performed by Dr. Robert Rosen at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. It was a bit more than what I was expecting, but so far things are coming along nicely. Just a personal opinion on mine and my Wifes part, but I do need to mention that Dr. Rosen seems to know his expertise quite well. Very easy going demeaner, can look at an angiogram and in less than a minute can very confidently explain whats going on and what needs to be done. He treats many a.v.m.'s on an almost daily basis.
An interesting aspect about his embolization procedure is that he performed the procedure while I was placed under general anithesia. If required, he uses a direct stick to occlude vessles with glue.
I had met with other Radiologists to reveiw my case-none feeling that they could succesfully perform the procedure due to the serpentine and tortuous nature of the arteries in my hand, but Dr. Rosen assured me that he could accomplish what needed to be done. And he did.
After the embolization was completed, I did have some swelling for a few days, but that has subsided and is now non-existant.
I am scheduled for a follow-up visit in February and hopefully I won't need another procedure for a few years or so.

Wishing a pleasant New Year for everyone,

Scott

Last edited by Scott C. : 01-19-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Hi Scott!

Thanks so much for posting your experiences. It will help other patients who have no idea what to expect.

Dr. Rosen rocks, does he not? We're lucky to have his talents and very pleased he could help you.

And a Happy New Year to you too!

Missy
Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Not a problem at all. Knowing first hand how frustrating finding someone who can treat an a.v.m. is, well, the more information one has, the better off for anyone suffering with one is.
Surprisingly there was not a Radiologist at Bostons Beth Isreal who felt that mine could be embolized, or should I say "not be able to reach the affected area with a catheter" (my words).
Dr. Rosen was the first person that mentioned a direct injection of glue. I had never heard of that one before. I am hoping (selfish of me) that he never relocates farther away geographically from where I reside. Quite a trip there-10 hours on Amtrak one way. I realize some people travel from different continents to see him and that I don't have it that bad lol.
In a nutshell, he is top shelf in our book!
.....and thanks for your help with the forum earlier!

Scott
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Scott,

So glad everything worked out for you! And we exist to help. Remember to keep coming by and helping other patients, though... someone who has been there always has the best ear to listen.

Missy