Laser tomorrow! - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 03-14-2011, 02:31 AM

Default Laser tomorrow!

Hi there!
We are going for laser tomorrow on the remainder of Faith's hemangioma! She came down with a small cold last week, so I'm hoping they will still go forward with it (since she is having some anesthesia) She has seemed fine for the past 2-3 days, but I'm kinda paranoid because her surgery had to be rescheduled twice last year because she kept getting colds. So I'm nervous about that.

Also, her appt. isn't until noon so she cannot eat anything until then. She is NOT happy about that and remembers that clearly from her surgery last year. I'm thinking of setting my alarm early so I can sit up and make sure she doesn't try to sneak anything in the morning. It's not that I don't trust her, it's just that she's 6 and well, I just don't trust her on this one!!! Hopefully it will all be done tomorrow and we can close this last chapter on the hemangioma!!

Shannon
Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Oh, I remember how often you had to reschedule!! LOL

I will be thinking about Faith today and, really, for the rest of the week. Please let me know how school goes for her. When do you think you'll send her back?

Missy
Old 03-15-2011, 03:29 AM

Well, she did it! She did terrific with the whole process. I'm glad we did the anesthesia. She had no pain at all. The only difficult thing came afterwards ...we went into the bathroom and Faith happened to catch a glimpse of herself and she was kinda shocked. She almost started to cry. She said, "I look so weird" and from that point on she was really sad. When we were driving home I could tell that she kept trying to look in the mirror and I angled it up so she couldn't. She looked so sad and I kept asking, "Do you feel ok?" and she said, "I just want this to go away! I look like a man with a mustache. I just want to look normal." It really broke my heart. Then when she went thru the toll both, I could see that she was hiding behind her jacket so he couldn't see her. She was embarrassed. She has never said ANY of those things about her Hemangioma!!!!! The irony of the situation is unreal. Here I am agonizing over trying to do this laser so she won't have those exact feelings....and she's having those feelings BECAUSE of the laser. Maybe it's just her age now.... last year with her surgery she really didn't care how she looked and I guess now it's affecting her more now!
She told me tonight at supper, if I knew it was going to look like this I wouldn't have done it. (She was probably completely happy with it how it was.) Oh, I hope I made the right decision. I'm hoping that this is just temporary and that it is actually sparing her of having those feelings years down the road. I don't know??? I just feel like maybe I didn't do a good job preparing her for the aftermath (although I think I remember feeling like this after her surgery too). sighhhhh....................

We plan on sending her to school tomorrow but we'll see how she feels in the morning. I went in to talk to the teacher and guidance counselor again today to fill them in where she's at. They told me to ask Faith how she wants to address it and so we talked about it and decided the teacher will explain to the class (during their morning meeting) that Faith had surgery on her birthmark and that it is bruised and that it will go away soon just like when they get a bruise (from falling down, etc.) The guidance counselor will hopefully check in at some point too. I'm trying to strike a balance between not making a big deal out of it and trying to intervene and help her.

It's funny, in all the years of her having this birthmark, she has never really had any of these issues (I'm the one who has been worried about them) and today was the first day I could see it in her. That was kind of hard. But I know she is resilient and she will be ok. She has told me that she wants to write a book about her birthmark...so maybe that will be a very theraputic thing we can do together over the next few months.

There's my update. I will send photos soon. I took one today but I want to wait until I have an "after" in a couple weeks. Thanks for your support!

Shannon
Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Oh, poor Faith! I'm sorry. There really is nothing more shocking than looking in the mirror sometimes, is there? LOL

I hope she feels better today. You know you did the right thing, right? You know it's all OK. In a week, she'll have forgotten all about it.

Give her a hug for us and tell her to give you a hug for us!!

Missy
Old 03-16-2011, 01:35 AM

She had a great day! Her teacher was super and everything went fine. We even went to the school Carnival/Book Fair tonight and she was running around with a big smile on her face! A few people thought she had just smeared her cotton candy all on her face! I'll post some pics next week!
Thanks!
Shannon
Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Administrator

YAY!!

Isn't it great when the kids act better than the adults?

Told ya so! :P
Old 03-16-2011, 04:43 PM

Ha!Ha! You are so right!!

shannon
Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Administrator

So, did the rest of her week go as well as the first day back? How's the bruising?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Missy
Old 03-18-2011, 11:55 PM

Hi Missy! It went really well overall. She seems to forget about it until she looks in the mirror. She was telling me today though that a lot of people were asking her why her nose was bleeding. People used to always tell me that when she was a baby. I just told her that in a couple of weeks it would look so light that people will not notice it very much at all. She seemed ok with that. Did I tell you that she wants to write a book about her birthmark? She already worked on a couple of pages! I think it will be great for her! I have to take a picture tomorrow and I'll send 2 to you to post, ok? Thanks for checking in!!!
Shannon
Old 03-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Wonderful!

I can't wait to read the book!

Missy