PWS and Ezcema - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 AM

Default PWS and Ezcema

Does any one have any good recommendations how to treat eczema overlying a PWS on the face and scalp. My daughter is 21 months and has a PWS on 2/3 rds of one side of her face. Laser treatments seem to be less effective due to the eczema. Itbis also uncomfortable and causes her to scratch, thereby making the eczema worse.

I would appreciate any suggestions or referrals.
Thanks,
Keren
Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator

I have no advice other than to ask Dr. Nelson:

http://birthmark.org/experts.php

I just wanted to say hi and welcome!

Missy
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM

I don't have experience with PWS but my daughter has CMTC and had terrible eczema. We started with hydrocortisone cream and didn't have very good luck. Then we saw the allergist and he put her on TAC cream. It is great and now she has almost no problems. We also use Vanicream daily and have used Robathol oil in her bath. Just some suggestions that we have found that work well.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:18 AM

ok i dunno if this will help. I had craddlecap on my scalp though most of primary school. my mom use to scrap it off i forget what she used.

Past two months now it has come back. no clue why stress maybe but i've had deremitis before also and my father had problems also. I used Neutrogena T/Sal therapeutic shampoo and conditioner before for a mild dandraff problem and I am using it again now. It does work really well, its also for treatment of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis. ok no clue about that either but its on the box. However, i do not think its recommended for children. years ago the shampoo use to have menthol in it that was soothing. Maybe you can find something similar but ask a doctor first
Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 AM

My son has extreme eczema with his PWS. His poor skin will crack without daily treatment. Our dermatologist has recommended a two step treatment for him. Cetaphil Restaderm is an over the counter lotion that we use as needed throughout the day. This is different then the regular Cetaphil lotion. Every few days, we use a prescriptive ointment, Protopic .03%. My son is only 14 months, so we use the weakest form of the Protopic.

Hope this help!

Last edited by kelmel : 05-02-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 AM

i remembered this post.

My scalp had zero improvement. I went back to my doctor and i recieve a steriod injection, found a shampoo with Coal tar, and used a steriod cream on my scalp every day, Benacort? it has improved greatly. No itchiness and no scabs to scrape off