Did your birthmark get in the way of getting a job? - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 PM

i always read that it will keep coming back. so i'm confused. birthmark is fed by a blood supply right ? i thought the guilty vessels get embolized? first and then laser. is it that it can't happen like that all the time ?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 AM

r2242 and kaykay My birthmark(s) was tested with two of the very first lasers available back in 1988, one was an argon laser the other candella. Neither did any good. My last and most recent test area was done by Dr. Waner in 2001. I don't remember what type of laser he used but it did no good either. The problem I have is that just about a year before lasers were made available to treat PWS, around 1975, I had the only type of treatment done that was available. It was called a tattoo. The procedure involved tatooing pigment into the birthmark to either lighten or destroy it. It was not very effective at all and might have made it worse in some ways. Now the area of skin on my face around the birthmark that has the pigment in it will not tan. So I've got a nice complexion on the right side of my face but the left side with the birthmark is abnormally light around the birthmark and won't even tan. This is when and why I began using make up to try to even up my complexion. And now the pigment that was tattooed into the birthmark impedes laser beams so that they cannot reach the depth of skin where the birthmark is. Boy, talk about horrible timing. If I had only known in 1975 when I began that tattoo crap that a year later lasers would be available, my birthmark might have been gone by now. I have to wonder whether the cosmetic surgeon who performed the tatooing knew that lasers might be available in the next year.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:11 AM

yes the argon laser they tested on my shoulder early 80's really didn't do anything either. they stopped it for fears of risk of using the laser while i was growing and getting luekumia. that was all that was available in australia at the time best of our knowledge. The doctor who we saw in sydney i think was a "Mister"

Tattooing pigment ! never heard of it before. only lasers. its sound kinda scifish. I am sorry that it seems to make it worse. There really is little information out there. i guess mistakes like the tattooing and argon are atleast trials for the future generations what not to use. its a bummer.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM

Post lasers/tattoos

kaykay. The tattooing procedure was the only treatment available before laser technology arrived around the mid-1970's. That's why you've never heard of it. It is obsolete. I hope you can have your birthmark treated successfully with lasers.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 PM

gdykes, do you know if you can get the tattoo removed? People can get their tattoos removed with a laser and then maybe the laser for the birthmark will work?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 AM

According to Dr. Waner there could be a problem with lasering the tattooed pigment also. Depending on the color of tattoo pigment, if copper was used on me a laser beam could turn it black the same as an oxidized penny turning black over time. When he told me that I forgot all about trying that. I'm better off the way I am. That was ten years ago though. Maybe that has changed by now also. Maybe I'll look into it again sometime.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator

The best person to ask about advances in laser technology is Dr. Nelson. You can write him via http://birthmark.org/experts.php

Missy
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 PM

Ok. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:25 AM

i just finished a 2 week contract doing a survey. I do not think its the best job for me. kicked my a**. heat has been terrible. HAVE to walk in the sun all day. My birthmark does not like that and it gets embrassing when my speech becomes worse than normal, starts drooling, hear even less. People getting annoyed with me. I'm not the best enumerator you can find but damnit i try. I try not to think that it may reflect badly for the party i represent.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

We haven't heard from you in a coon's age!

I just realized something: in all the time I've "known" you on the forums, I've never really heard you talk about your strengths! I'd love it if you sat down alone and really thought about what your strengths are and start building on those. I wonder if you really knew what kind of job would capitalize on what you're good at, if you could go about getting one of those.

Are you good at maths? Do you read well? Can you paint? Do you like to do crafts? There IS something that you're good at and there IS a way to fit that skill set into a job that you like and are excited about.

I do know that you are kind and compassionate and extremely patient. Start with the positives!

Missy