New Here - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 05-03-2011, 06:12 AM

Default New Here

Hello everyone
My near 5 month old son has a compound haemangioma on his scalp that appeared when he was 3 weeks old. It is now about 2.5 cm round(sorry dont know inches) and about 1 cm high with a red part on top. I am worried that it will not involute fully and he will end up with a bald patch as he gets older. I have emailed Dr Levitin with photos and he would remove it surgically. He believes that it will not go away fully and he will have a bald spot. We live in Australia with limited resources as far as removal goes. His paediatrician says do nothing it will go away. This is a big decision for us to make to travel so far to a doctor I dont really know much about. Cost will also be a factor as we have travel and medical costs that we will have to pay.
Has anyone else travelled a long way for this?

Thanks
Vikki
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

I do know some families who have gone great distances, yes. But, as you said, you have to consider all factors and make a decision based on what YOUR family can do.

There is a doctor in NZ who might be able to help you, Dr. Tan. Have you been in touch with him? It's closer to you and he might be able to help.

Swee T Tan MB BS FRACS PhD
Wellington Regional Plastic, Maxillofacial & Burns Unit
Centre for the Study & Treatment of Vascular Birthmarks
Hutt Valley DHB
Private Bag 31-907, Lower Hutt
New Zealand
Ph +64 4 570 9067
Fax +64 4 570 9510

Missy
Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 PM

My daughter had a compound scalp hemangioma as well. We had it removed surgically.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions!

katiegalvin02@yahoo.com
Old 05-04-2011, 12:07 AM

Thanks very much

My husband is very keen to have the haemangioma removed as we dont want him to grow up being teased- as kids do! Already when I pick my daughter up from school the other kids look and stare and ask "whats that on his head". Its getting cold here now so a hat is covering it up.
He has a paediatrician appointment next week so I will discuss all this with him.
By the way what have peoples experiences been with Dr Levitin?

Thanks for your help

Vikki
Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Dr. Levitin is the tops!! I haven't heard one single bad thing about him since I've started working here ... 12 or 13 years ago.

I've never heard anyone who said they were less than thrilled with Dr. Levitin or the results his treatment provided.

Missy
Old 05-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Also, go to

http://vbfaustralia.org and on the front page there, there is a new study announcement that just went up today!

Missy