Surgery / laser on lower lip hemangioma - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-22-2011, 04:49 AM

Missy,
Doesn't it seem like everyone has lip hemangiomas lately?!!! Crazy!

Shannon
Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 PM

my daughter who just turned 2 in May, has a lower lip H. It ulcerated at 3 months old and she is left with a scar in her lip. We just met with a surgeon yest. and she said she will smooth it out but will be left with a little scar but the big divet will not be there.
it is so hard to decide on what to do..I think her lip looks great since I have seen it at its worst, but the world is not kind and I think she will be answering questions her whole life.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:04 AM
Administrator

It DOES seem like everyone is asking questions about lip hemangiomas lately. It happens like that every once in a while, though.

Missy
Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Mrssied, your little girl's hemangioma on her lip is very similar to Laurens. It is hard to know what to do, do you leave well enough alone or try to make it a bit better? Laurens lip is part of her and doesnt look odd at all to us. Her brother and sister, (7 & 5) have never noticed it or made a comment ever. I love it how they wonder what other people are talking about as they just cant see anything but their adorable little sister!! But nearly every day someone says something or stares not knowing what to make of it and I feel maybe something will need to be attempted. Only if it starts to worry her tho. So i do know how you feel. Please stay in touch. I would love to know what/if you end up deciding
Old 07-01-2011, 04:12 AM

Hi again everyone, we have an appointment on the 7th with a surgeon to discuss options for Lauren's lip ....finally in NZ they are saying its time to correct it before school YAY! Will keep you posted ....
Old 07-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Well, that's just next week, isn't it? This summer is flying by!

Who are you seeing in NZ? Please remember to come by after your appointment and let us know how things are going. How is Lauren otherwise?

Missy
Old 07-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Administrator

LOL Blissful ignorance is wonderful at any age! Tell her to send some over here!

I have not heard of the first physician mentioned, so let us know your impressions of him. We often hear from people who have seen Dr. Tan and always the feedback is good. So, I believe you're on the right path.

Missy
Old 11-28-2011, 05:58 PM

I'm new to this board; however, I have been reading several of the posts relating to this thread. My daughter Meghan was born with a lower lip hemangioma. It grew rapidly and at about 2 1/2 months and ulcerated. We had been seeing a pediatric dermatologist since she was 1 month old. At first they were just keeping an eye on it; however once it started to ulcerate, they had given her a cortisone shot. This didn't not slow down the growth. So, they ended up putting her on high-dose steroids for about 5 months. This definitely slowed down/stopped the growth. She now has a fairly large divot where the ulceration occurred and the scar tissue is white. We have met with a pediatric plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh a few times already to track the hemangioma and now have a follow-up visit scheduled for this coming Thursday (12/1). We knew all along that at some point she would need surgery. The surgeon said that it was on our timeline as to when we would want it done; however, she recommended waiting until she was school age. She will be 3 yrs. old in February. I am hoping that at this appointment we will be able to schedule her surgery. It isn't as much for the hemangioma, as I'm willing to wait another year or so, if need be; however, she is starting to get a cross-bite. I think that the bump on her lower right lip, is starting to affect her bite. Also, when she smiles, her lip seems to droop as if she has lost muscle tone on that side of her lip. I'm not sure that surgery will be able to correct that, so, before this causes any additional problems, I think it may be best to have the surgery. I just wanted to thank everyone on this board for their posts and personal stories as it had been both comforting and educational for me. I am trying to look for a picture that shows the current state of the hemangioma and also of one from when it was at its worst. This will have to wait to later though, as I'm at work and unable to download anything.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 AM
Administrator

Hi Gina,

Welcome and thanks for posting. If you have trouble attaching photos, send them as an attachment to contact@birthmark.org and I'll post them for you. Remember to tell me which thread they go with!

Missy
Old 11-29-2011, 02:50 AM

Gina, Good luck with everything! My daughter had lip hemangioma surgery last year (she was 5) to fix her ulceration scar/divot. She did very well and we are very pleased with the results. She did great with the surgery..I found it was harder on me than her! Let us know how everything goes!

Shannon