Looking for a Dr near S IL - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 09-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Default Looking for a Dr near S IL

Hey guys, I'm looking for a Dr near Southern Illinois. I have already looked at those listed on this website, & have contacted a few (waiting to hear back from them), but, according to this website's information, none of the Drs in STL, MO are "right" for me as they mainly deal with children--at 24, I highly doubt I count as such any more (except to maybe my parents)!

If anyone knows of anyone else who is willing to treat adults, please let me know. My birthmark is starting to thicken again, & I have a few blebs, so I'm thinking I'm going to need more treatments soon

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Administrator

I got your message regarding the email addresses and will see if I can track those people down. While I know you're too old for a doctor that mainly deals with children, you might call a few and ask who they refer their patients to when those patients "age out."

Missy
Old 09-07-2011, 07:59 PM

thanks, Missy. Dr Woo (his email worked!) suggested I contact Dr Eva Hurst (also with the organization he's associated with). I'm now thinking about taking the next step & nervously setting up an appointment!

Hopefully I continue to get good news and can work treatments in around school & work (& cost!). Just need to maybe look into a viable ins option for me as my school ins doesn't cover stuff like this, unfortunately.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Since you are over 18 (I'm assuming), contact your state's Medicaid office and find out how to apply. Continuing treatment really is necessary, so call around to some social services and ask how you can find help. Are you in Ill? http://www.hfs.illinois.gov/medical/apply.html

The worst they can say is no. And it might help you pay for treatments.

Contact Basia, too. She's our insurance expert: http://birthmark.org/experts.php

She might be able to give you some tips on getting it covered under your present insurance plan anyway. Also, go to the admin building on campus and find out if there are other insurance options ... some large campuses are going to self-funded plans.

Consider looking into an additional "mini-med" policy if you can find one. It might cover what your regular insurance doesn't. http://www.medicalinsurance.org/guid...eds-insurance/

Let us know how things turn out!

Missy
Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 PM

Lol yeah, i'm over 18--turned 24 this past June. I don't have any ins--& I've already asked my school about it. But thank you for the other ins info! I'll have to take a look & (hopefully?) start making calls next week.

*edit*

Just stopped by the DHS & found out I basically need to get knocked up before I'd be eligible for state health ins.

What sort of social services should I even look for?

Last edited by erih : 09-10-2011 at 03:39 AM.