Opinions on my sons Hemangioma(picture included) - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 PM

Default Opinions on my sons Hemangioma(picture included)

Hi I am new here. My son is 6 weeks old and his hemangioma appeared a couple of days after birth...I'm going to include a picture I took today. His pediatrician said it would go away but I am worried that it will get a lot larger or won't go away. So I was wondering what other parents opinion was on this? Thanks...I really appreciate any imput.
Jessica
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birthmarkcrop.jpg (69.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

There's really just no way to say whether or not a hemangioma will grow. If you'd rather be seen by an expert in the field, tell us where you are and we'll try to get you to someone who has experience with birthmarks.

Missy
Old 09-27-2011, 04:09 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! I live in Jacksonville,FL
Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Administrator

You know, upper Florida, the panhandle, and south Georgia are one of the places where we really don't have any doctors listed that are convenient. My advice would be to start calling around and seeing if you can find any pediatric provider (dermatologist, ENT, family practitioner) that has any experience with birthmarks. My concern would be that if it does start to grow (and it may not) that it would grow quickly and you'd need to have a professional monitoring it, without being on a waiting list as a new patient.

Have you tried going through Nemours? They are supposed to have a good ENT program and pediatric plastic surgery there.

Try asking one of our experts what a good course of treatment might be: http://birthmark.org/experts.php

The only person I can think of from this board that I know is from your area is in St Marys or Kingsland and she goes to Colorado for treatment of an AVM. But it is OK to sit down and call different offices and ask if they have anyone who has experience with hemangiomas.

Missy
Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 AM

Hi Jessica,

Your son's hemangioma looks very similar to our son's (though our son's is large in diameter). He is 9 weeks old and we started laser treatment with Dr Geronemus in NY (we live in DC and have family in NY so it isn't too inconvenient for us to travel) when Hudson was about 6.5 weeks old. We have only had two treatments so far, so I can't speak to how effectively they are working just yet, but we really like Dr. Geronemus and feel glad that we've started treating our son. I just felt so nervous not knowing how large it would grow or how long it might take to go away. I talked with several families who treated their children and they seemed happy with the laser route, so we decided to try it. The treatments are extremely short - less than ten seconds per treatment - and don't require anesthesia.
Good luck! I will try to update the forum with our results as we get further along in the treatment process.

Jessie
Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Hello Jessica and Jessie,

Your sons' hemangioma are similar to my daughter's hemangioma. She had her 3 dye laser treatments between 2 months old and 6 months old. Unfortunately, her hemangioma is "immune" from laser treatment. We then decided to try propranolol at 7 months old. You can tell differences from the picture. The propranolol treatment ended at 15 months old. We regreat the first treatment we chose is not propranolol.

waka
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compare3t.jpg (83.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Hi Waka,

Thank you for sharing about your daughter's hemangioma and the treatment. I will keep propranolol in mind if my son's hemangioma doesn't respond well to the laser. So far, we have had three laser treatments with Dr. Geronemus (we started treating at 6 weeks when it was slightly raised off the skin, but barely, and was a thick, red textured hemangioma) and we have been pretty happy with the results so far. After the first treatment, the solid red color started to fade to a pale purple in places; after the second treatment, this happened again but there was some growth in the hemangioma during those two weeks and some of the bright red, more textured-type places came back, and after the third treatment, we see that about half of the hemangioma is made up of the bright red parts and the other half is made up of the faded purple parts, so it appears to be helping. However, our son is only 11 weeks old, so the hemangioma may grow a lot still and the doctor said we can't know exactly how his hemangioma will respond to the treatments since it is still in the growth phase. But, we will keep an eye on it and I will ask about propranolol if the laser stops showing signs of progress.

Jessie
Old 10-09-2011, 06:51 PM

And Waka - I forgot to mention how great her hemangioma looks - she responded so well to the propranolol!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies, he has a doctors appt on the 18th with his pediatrician...I haven't had any luck yet with dermatologists in the area. @ Missy I tried the ask an expert a couple of weeks ago and never got a reply.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Hi!

I resent your question to the doctor. I think it might have bounced back to him? If it does again, I'll see if I can send his reply on to you.

Let us know what happens on the 18th!

Missy