PWS + Light Sensitivity? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 AM

Default PWS + Light Sensitivity?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has noticed or if there is a link between light sensitivity when a PWS covers/is close to one or both eyes?

Mine goes from my hairline on the left down to the bottom edge of my upper eyelid. Early tests showed it was NOT on/in my eye. I do have light-ish blue eyes and sort of naturally red hair which is already predisposed to light sensitivity (or so I've heard), so its entirely possible its something else that has affected my eyes.

I have never had lasering done on my eyelid, tho.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:55 AM

my eye sight is good. left eye is weaker, my pws is on the left side. I am alittle sensitive to light and suppose to wear polarized shades but i've been told thats just due to my scandanvian anscestry. i do not leave home without shades. been called a vamp a few times LOL
Old 05-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Interesting. I have one kid who has dark hair and freckles (like me) and one who is blond and very fair. The blond/fair one has such light sensitivity that his teachers have commented on it. He has a hard time at recess because it takes so long for his eyes to adjust coming outside. He also has autism, and we always thought that was why.

Interesting discussion, though. I have been noticing more and more that people with a PWS on one side say they have other problems on that side as well.

Missy
Old 05-20-2011, 05:41 AM

Lol kaykay. I'm nearly famous for my sunglasses! I get so bad I end up w/ migraines (which are thankfully knocked out by tylenol), but its not just the sun for me. Fluorescent lights are worse (which makes dorm life oh so fun!)

Missy, it does make sense that PWS affect more given the nature. I've not done any research at all on it, but i'm sure the messed up blood vessels are at least partly to blame. I wonder if genetics are keyed in as well when PWS are present?

I do know light-sensitivity is at least partially (if not wholly) genetic & eye colour helps determine it too (not saying a dark brown eyed person can't be light sensitive, but they're less likely to be than a [pale] blue eyed one).
Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 PM

i'm a pedigree pothound but my eyes are either green or blue/grey. depending on my mood/health i've been told. no one else is blond hair blue eyed. brother and i are throw backs. we don't talk anymore but i don't know if he has problems. pothead.

I know what you mean about headaches. I cannot stand illegal fluresent lights on cars either. thank fully i don't drive much at night. I'm not fond of glare either, still drive with my shades on when it rains. something about pale pigment
Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 AM

I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to comment anyway. I found it while Googling PWS and light sensitivity because my two year old with PWS is extremely sensitive to light and I thought there might be a correlation. I am also sensitive, as is my older son. We all have blue eyes which I have attributed our sensitivity to in the past. Now that he is speaking, I have finally figured out why he has been crying while in the car, especially on sunny days. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It helps me understand what he is going through.