Question for parents whose children have had laser treatment - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 PM

Default Question for parents whose children have had laser treatment

Hi all, my five year old daughter had her first pulsed dye laser treatment last week. I am really concerned at this point because it actually looks worse!! Her hemangioma has been in the process of involuting and faded quite a bit but still had some lingering blood vessels and redness that we were trying to take care of with the laser. Now I am anxious because right now it looks like it did a few years ago in terms of the blood vessels and redness. I sure hope we didn't make things worse. If anyone can tell me what their child's looked like in the week following laser and beyond I would be very grateful!!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't see this post until today.

Often, the birthmark will look MUCH worse in the few days or possibly weeks after laser treatment. Once the lesion heals a bit, it should look significantly better.

Missy
Old 10-09-2013, 01:51 AM

Hi! For some reason I missed this as well. So sorry! My daughter had laser on the leftover hemangioma on the skin above her lip. Hers was almost involuted with just a little redness left when she had the first laser treatment After the laser, it looked like she had gotten punched in the nose/mouth. It took longer than I expected to fade- I thought it would fade more quickly in the first couple of days but I found it stayed pretty dark-by the second week, it faded more and by the third week it was good! Here's her photo album so you can see:

https://www.facebook.com/shannon.hoh...02383&t ype=3

So I think what you are describing seems normal to me. Sometimes it is helpful to take pictures and you can see the changes more easily that way. I think it should be looking better soon. If not, make an appt. to see her doctor to have it checked.

Let me know if you have any questions. How is your daughter feeling about the whole thing?

Shannon
Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 PM

That sounds normal to me. We have had numerous laser treatments for our daughter's hemangioma, both before her surgery and then after surgery to clear up some residual blood vessels. Each time, it looked bad for a week or more after laser - very dark purpley bruised and swollen. But after a couple weeks, it began to fade. Our doctor actually told us such bad bruising post-laser meant the laser had been effective in reaching and clotting the blood vessels so it was a good sign. So don't worry!