compression garments for VM - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 AM

Default compression garments for VM

Hi,

M 1.5 year old has a venous malfomation in her left hand/fingers and arm. We have been to Columbia in NYC and CHOP in Philly and have gotten different opiniins on whether to use compression garments. Does anyone have experience with VM in a toddler, and have you used compression therapy?

thanks,
Mike
Old 03-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

Other parents will chime in soon. But I'm curious... Did they offer reasons for their opinions? If so, what were they?

Missy
Old 03-12-2014, 05:27 PM

Default reply from Mike B

Hi Missy,

The doc's at CHOP did not think compression would work for my duaghter because her fingers were so small. They basically did not think we would be able to get it on her effectively. Columbia has always said we should consider it, but never really pushed the issue until our last appointment in January. Also, most of the places that make these custom garments (home med pharmacies) said they have never done it for someone Ruby's age. They also did not seem confident that it would work. Any advice on where to get the garments made, what type of material to use, how often it should be worn, etc...would be really helpful.

thanks again,
Mike B
Old 03-18-2014, 04:21 PM

I do know that several CMTC kids have had compression garments at a young age and I know that in those cases it was for AVMs. I would guess that it is just an issue with the particular place you are working with. We didn't want to spend the money because we weren't sure how much compression to use and how effective it would be with our daughter. We did however have her wear tights as an infant to give some light compression to aide in circulation. Sorry, I don't really know of the places that other families used to get their custom garments for smaller kids. I will ask around a little and if I find out anything I will come back and post.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 PM

Default compression garments for VM

Thanks so much for the response and for looking into it for me. We appreciate it. I definately want to try the compression just because I feel she is too young for any other kind of treatment (schlerotherapy), but I want to prevent any further swelling/clotting/pain. Waht is CMTC?

Mike B