embolization in july - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 05-14-2004, 03:29 PM
kind

Default embolization in july

Well we finally saw DR. mitchell (interventional radiology) and she is going to perform a embolzation on my duaghter in july. We are waiting till then so that my daughter can swim and enjoy her summer a lil bit before school starts up again. I was wondering if anyone else has had this done and if they needed more then one procedure.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:12 PM
lisarose

Default Re:embolization in july

My 10 year old has an AVM in lower left mandible. Just had her second embolization of this year with another scheduled for August. Her AVM first presented in 2000, that year she had three angio and embos and then the AVM remained quiet for three years until rearing it's head again this year.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:06 PM
kind

so they can come back ? ???
i didn't know that. I thought when it was gone it was gone...Or did i just misread your post?
Old 06-09-2004, 12:49 AM

Yes, unfort. they can come back. Often with hormone or injury type changes.

Good luck with your future surgeries.

C
Old 06-13-2004, 10:25 PM
kind

Now her radiologist told us that there are different techniqes for these things and that she was going to use the alcohol embolization does anyone know how effective that is in not having recurring procedures?
Old 06-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Lise

Hi,

I can't answer your question, but I know that recurrence has to do with other factors, not only the technique used. The one thing I was told by my interventional radiologist is that alcohol embolization seems to give the best results in the treatment of AVM. It was first used a few years ago by Dr. Wayne Yakes, interventional radiologist at Colorado Neurological Institute: my radiologist learned it from Dr. Yakes. Maybe if you google "Wayne Yakes", you would learn more? He is #1 on this.

Lise in Montreal (AVM of the lip)
Old 06-15-2004, 01:50 PM
kind

Thanks for the info i will do that right now. Thanks again
Old 07-21-2004, 02:12 PM
kind

She had her embolization on the 14th,
everything went well. She is doing ok considering the part of her body that it was done on.
Dr.Mitchell thinks that it went well.
She is very sore and the solution burned her a lil bit so she has some sores from where the blisters have popped open.There was a lot of swelling they put her on steroids which brought it down alot. We seen dr. mitchell on monday and she said that it looked good and we will go back again next monday.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Lise

I'm very happy that the treatment went well and that the outcome seems to be so good.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I'll be checking this board for more news of your daughter.

Lise
Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 AM
jenn1900

Default avm alcohol treatment

I know some time has passed since your daughter had her alcohol treatments for her AVM. I would like to know more on how the alcohol has gone & what the days/weeks following treatment have been like.