V-Beam vs V-Star - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 08-27-2014, 08:36 PM

Default V-Beam vs V-Star

Greetings,

My wife and I have had consultations with several dermatologists and cosmetic surgeons regarding laser treatment of her port wine stain birthmark. Their offices use either the V-Star or V-Beam pulse-dye laser.

- Which laser produces better results for PWS treatment? Which is newer? What's the difference? My wife's PWS is located on her right cheek just above her jawbone. About the size of an elongated quarter. It's fairly deep red/purplish. One physician said it felt upraised but not very much so.

- Should I be inquiring which specific model/generation of the device they are using? Should I only consider the most current model?

- What minimal experience level with the device should I require in the person who operates it? These are tunable devices, so I imagine some level of experience is required to tune it properly for a given patient.

- Is it OK for a physician assistant or technician to operate it or should the procedure be performed only by the dermatologist / physician?

Thank you very much for your help!

Chi