pregnancy when having port wine stain? - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 03-07-2005, 10:49 PM
CYM

Default Re: pregnancy when having port wine stain?

I am about half way through my pregnany now. I have a pws on side of my cheek, nose and around my eye. I was really happy to see this post today. I have been noticing changes in my birthmark since I got pregnant. I am noticing it getting darker and I lot more bright red dots forming. In fact, I just got back from the doctor because one of those bright red dots grew very rapidly and is now larger than a pencil eraser. I wonder if the increased blood volume and related vascular changes in pregnany contribute to this. Any one else experience this?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Jin9084

Hi. I have been told that some people form bleebs during pregnancy. There is a lot of adults on Birthmarks.com www.birthmarks.com that has been through this. I wish that I could be more help.
Jinny
Old 03-15-2005, 05:04 AM
NJmommy

I was told by over a dozen Doctors that it is NOT hereditary.
But some women can have problems during pregnancy and delivery...
Just be sure that your doctor knows the potential risks.

I had slight problems with my first pregnancy,.
Blebs,darkening,thickening,bleeding from my pores.
But,My second pregnancy was really bad.
My face started swelling really bad ,because the extra blood flow was popping some of the vessles....My doc no longer feels that another pregnancy would be safe ,because I would be extremely high risk of anurysm next time..
For me...each time worsened drasticly.

But I have spoken with women that have many children and haven't had any real problems...
each person is different I guess?
Good Luck with your pregnancy!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:55 PM
lisaslftleg

My birthmark covers my entire left leg and I have 3 kids. None of them have birthmarks like mine. Two do have small areas; one on her inner leg the other on her tummy that are slightly lighter but that is it. During my first 2 pregancies it was in the back of my mind but with my third pregnancy I consulted a geneticist concerning my birthmark. I was very releived to find out that prot wine stains are NOT hereditary. I could not pass them on to my kids! She told me the birthmark was caused by a fluke during my mother's pregnancy. I have no blood relatives with similar birthmarks.
I do not recall my birthmark changing at all during my pregnancies.
Good luck and stop worrying!
Old 07-02-2005, 05:09 AM
kimberlyann

I have a large pws on my face neck legs, all over basically. I had 3 kids and only had problems during the last one. I got about 7 blebs, I am assuming these are what you call them. They look like a red or dark pink growth. I also had major problems with my gums, I had huge pregnancy tumors on them, not cancerous, and they continued until after the birth and until I stopped breast feeding. It was definately related to the hormonal changes the Dr. told me He never even mentioned the pws, but now I know thats what it was! I also had a large hematoma form in my uterus and I hemmoraged, the Dr.s had never seen one that size in the university hospital. But the baby was fine and ther is no explanation for that either. Now I wonder! I've only just begun learning about my birthmark since last week. I'm 32. But my other 2 pregnancies were normal so thaer really is no way to know for sure I guess
Old 07-06-2005, 01:07 AM
PresidentVBF

Because a port wine stain has enlarged blood vessels and because pregnancy results in an increase of estrogen in the body (which is a natural blood vessel expander) most women with a PWS seek darkening or thickening during pregnancy and puberty and menopause.
Also, if you take the pill, the stain can progress. So, we always recommend no hormone therapy to women with a vascular malformation (stain, venous, lymphatic or arteriovenous).

If your stain is in the groin area, it can cause severe pain during pregnancy because of the increased blood flow.

If anyone is pregnant and having any problems during their pregnancy, please get in touch with one of our experts. The stain may not lighten after the pregnancy and may need to be lasered to get it back to the former "lighter" stage. However, I have heard some have lightened when the estrogen level went down to normal.

Heat also makes a stain look darker. Go in a jacuzzi and find out or use a hot pack on your face. See how it darkens the stain as the vessel enlarge from heat. So, anything that makes blood vessel get larger will make the stain look darker, bigger, etc.

Linda Shannon
VBF President/Founder
Old 07-06-2005, 10:06 AM
anti

Hello everyone,
I thank you all very, very much for your replies.
I wish everything turns up well (still not pregnant yet!)

Wishing you all the best.
thanking you once again,
anti
Old 07-16-2005, 03:38 AM
PresidentVBF

Estrogen is elevated during pregnancy. Estrogen causes blood vessels to enlarge. Your blood vessels are already enlarged where your birthmark is. So, they usually get darker, thicker and can become painful during pregnancy as they press on nerves from new, deep tissue growth. We highly recommend NO HORMONE therapy for women with large vascular birthmarks or thick ones as the "pill" will also cause the same result. Again, depending on the size and depth of your lesion, you may or may not have problems but be cautioned about hormones and puberty, pregnancy, and menopause.

Linda Rozell-Shannon
VBF President/Founder
Old 10-29-2005, 06:02 AM
juliebeans

I have a port wine stain surrounding my left eye and forehead. With all three of my pregnancy's I had little tumors grow on my birthmark that would just bleed without stopping if I picked it. It's called something, I forget how to spell it. They were removed with a scapal and then burned to deaden the skin. It happens because of the hormones in your pregnancy and only on the birthmark. All three of my girls were born birthmark free, it's not something you pass on, and trust me my childrens were well worth the little tumors!! Good luck!
Old 11-14-2005, 10:40 PM
nc

i am new, i have a 22 month old boy, Joshua. he has a pws on the right side of his face. my older son Adam, has no pws. i am so scared about having another baby .... the fear of going through the nightmare we did with little josh. i know so many people who have more than one child with a pws. we have NO pws in our family so we are v. confused about the hereditary info they tell you.... help. Nicole